Sino-German Platform for Renewable Energies - Wind Environment Research & Training Center
As of: May 2021
This project aimed to improve the technical expertise of managers and specialised personnel in the Chinese energy sector to help ensure that wind power-generated electricity is fed into the grid efficiently and used sustainably. Through its activities, the project helped to reduce emissions in China. It helped to set up the Wind Environment Research and Training Center (WERT) as well as to develop and carry out training and education events. At the same time, it developed testing services and training testing staff in cooperation with German test institutions.
State of implementation/results
- Project completed
- Transfer of technical knowledge on sustainable and stable methods of feeding wind-generated electricity into the grid; this transfer focuses on technology, grid standards and wind-turbine characteristics and involves actors in the wind energy sector (grid operators, wind turbine manufacturers, electricity companies and wind farm operators);
- Development and launch of the online training platform on wind energy and development of adapted learning concepts and training courses for Chinese operation and maintenance technicians and engineers (blended learning);
- Training of instructors; establishment of partnerships with German and Chinese research institutes and universities;
- Construction of a wind turbine for training purposes and for testing regionally adapted grid regulation strategies; introduction of Low Voltage Ride Through (LVRT) technology on the ground, including numerous test applications and measurement systems, such as the mobile LVRT test container;
- Assistance provided to SGCC in establishing standards for reducing grid collapses, especially with regard to LVRT characteristics; some of these standards were made binding at national level and have strengthened CEPRI as a test institution.