Sino-German Urbanisation Partnership
As of: February 2021
The Sino-German Urbanisation Partnership forms the basis for the cooperation of both nations towards urbanisation that is more integrated, more sustainable and better for the climate, and emphasises the key role of cities in achieving climate action targets. The project supports bilateral policy dialogue in the form of an inter-ministerial working group, and applies knowledge sharing between multiple cities and expert support with the aim of improving knowledge and skillsets for integrated, sustainable and climate-neutral urban development. The project also disseminates project materials at national, subnational and local level in order to ensure their incorporation into relevant policy and expert networks. This integrated project approach helps to intensify dialogue between the two countries, while also highlighting approaches for the effective reduction of CO2 emissions and an increase in the quality of life for urban populations.
State of implementation/results
- The Urbanisation Partnership supports exchanges between Chinese and European city representatives. Here, attention is paid to the use of synergy effects with other donors.
- On 11 June 2020, the project and the German-Chinese Climate Partnership jointly organised an online workshop on the newly developed guidelines for the development of sustainable municipal energy and climate action plans (SECAPs).
- In May 2020, the project published a new basic paper framework conditions for energy legislation for urban development in Germany. The basic paper was prepared at the request of the Chinese Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development (Mo-HURD)
- In September and October 2019, three workshops on energy efficiency in urban renewal took place in Beijing / Chengdu / Xuzhou.
- From 07 to 21 July 2019, the project organised the 37th specialist information trip to Essen and Munich as part of the German-Chinese Mayor Program. On 11 July 2019 the German-Chinese Mayor Summit took place in Essen.
- On 9 April 2019, an expert workshop on the topic of the bicycle traffic concept in Zhangjiakou was held in Beijing together with CSTID.
- In May 2019, the project supported the visit of a delegation of MoHURD to the ICCA conference in Heidelberg.
- On 25 March 2019, the project organised together with CSTID a seminar on guidelines for climate-adapted urban development in Beijing.
- A series of events took place in Beijing from 5 to 7 December 2018 on the key topic of energy efficiency in urban renewal.
- A workshop at COP23 in Bonn on climate protection at local level in Germany and China was organised jointly with the IKI project German-Chinese Climate Partnership. City representatives from both countries, including Bonn and Essen, exchanged experiences in drawing up their local climate protection plans.
- From 16 to 30 September 2017, a delegation of 30 Chinese mayors held talks in Berlin (with BMU and others), Hamburg and Cologne as part of the German-Chinese Mayors' Programme and took part in the German-Chinese Mayors' Forum on structural change and green transformation in Magdeburg.
- In the context of an international seminar on green urbanisation organised by CCICED in Langfang on 30-31 August 2017, the project made integrated urban development projects in Germany (e.g. Messestadt Munich) accessible to a Chinese expert audience against the background of the development of the Jing-Jin-Ji region.