Solar Chill: Deploying Solar-Powered Environmentally Sound Freezers and Refrigerators in Off-Grid Areas
As of: February 2020
Objective and activities
The project is continuing the work of the SolarChill project that was launched in 2001. In cooperation with PalFridge, a local manufacturer of refrigeration equipment in Swaziland, it is developing existing prototypes to the point where they meet the needs of tropical and subtropical climatic zones while remaining affordable. This should facilitate the deployment of solar-powered environmentally sound refrigeration equipment in off-grid areas of Southern Africa. The appliances are free from climate-damaging refrigerants, use non-halogenated insulation foams, and operate without batteries which contain heavy metals.
State of implementation/results
- Solar-powered vaccine refrigerator developed and manufactured (MC72), which operates without climate-wrecking refrigerants
- Several training courses carried out in Swaziland and Germany (e.g. on welding aluminium microchannel evaporator tubes)
- Two types of solar refrigerators developed and marketed (around 400 during the project term)
- Agreement concluded with The Fridge Factory (TFF) to cooperate on the further development of the vaccine refrigerator (MC72 to MC100); tested successfully by the Danish Technology Institute according to WHO criteria; technology to be transferred to commercial and household appliances
- Several workshops carried out in Swaziland and Germany in cooperation with the project's partner focusing on redesigning the systems
- Technology presented at various international Forums
- Development and production of solar-powered refrigerators in cooperation with the partner Palfridge in South Africa
- In order to test the vaccine coolers in the field, contact was made with rural clinics in Kenya
- As part of the GIZ Innovation Fund 2018 the project team develops the the application "emmunize". It complements the vaccination cooling system with a software to increase immunization rates in remote areas.