Strengthening civil society in the implementation of national climate policies in Georgia, Colombia and Ukraine
As of: January 2022
The participation of stakeholders from civil society in defining more ambitious NDCs is necessary to improve strategies and to implement them in a transparent and participatory way. However, these stakeholders usually lack the resources to influence the implementation and improvement of NDCs. The project strengthens the stakeholders’ capacity to articulate and introduce their climate policy demands in the NDC implementation process. In the partner countries, the project supports selected organisations and groups to participate in climate mitigation plans, the drafting of climate-relevant laws for NDC implementation, and the discussion on ambitious climate policy. The project also wants to lay the foundations for the regular and systematic engagement of civil society in climate policy issues in the partner countries and to institutionalise the dialogue between decision-makers and other stakeholders.
State of implementation/results
- June 2021: Bund für Umwelt und Naturschutz Deutschland – Friends of the Earth Germany (BUND) publishes the explanatory video "Civil Society Engagement for Ambitious Climate Action" www.youtube.com/…
- June 2021 the BUND and the Independent Institute for Environmental Issues (UfU) organize the five-day digital conference "5 for the Climate": www.bund.net/…
- BUND and the BMU organized a side event on the role of civil society in the NDC revision process at the 25th Conference of the States Parties to the Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP25) twitter.com/…
- In October 2019 UfU held a workshop on civil society at The Climate Opportunity Conference (Berlin) published participation in climate policy
- A policy paper on civil society engagement in updating and implementing NDCs was published in November 2019 www.bund.net/… /publikationen/klimawandel/klimawandel_ndcs_policy_paper_englisch.pdf
- * Georgia:
- At the end of September 2021, The Greens Movement of Georgia (GMG) held the annual Climate Week, which focused nationwide attention on the topic of climate protection. - GMG awarded subcontracts to local NGOs to provide information on climate-relevant issues and to initiate discourses. Different products were created, such as an article on the Green Deal or the reduction of plastic use firstnews.ge/… 15-51 / sazogadoeba / item / 13082-2021-08-25-09-12-06? Fbclid = IwAR2Vatu77OvPPwBmgUEhEuk3gd_Za8fvOlf-b32NRGUYsTDLRhknIY - tAY (in Georgian).
- GMG held an NDC conference in Tbilisi to discuss climate policy with the government and civil society actors and experts greens.ge/… (in Georgian).
- Political dialogue on national climate plans (NDC) with the Association of Mayors in Georgia (January 2019).
- Organization of several training courses for civil society on the subject of climate policy and NDC in 2019
- Ecoaction commissioned six local organizations to analyze the Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plans (SECAP) and strengthen local climate ambition:
- November 2018: Foundation of a 100% renewable energy coalition in Ukraine
- Participation in the working group for the development of the 2nd Ukrainian NDC.
- Organization of thematic meetings with NGOs and experts (energy, mobility, Waste, etc.) to set targets for 2030.
- Organization of training courses for civil society and local government on the subject of 100% renewable energy
- The network "Voces por el Clima" published a comprehensive statement on the draft of an energy transition law ("proyecto de ley No. 365 "): transiciones.info/… 2021-camara-por-medio-de-la-cual-se-dictan-disposiciones-para-la-transicion-en / (in Spanish)
- The alliance “Colombia libre de Fracking” leads the successful anti-fracking campaign "Agua Piloto" aguapiloto.com (in Spanish). The campaign helped bring a new draft law banning fracking to parliament in August 2021.
- November 2019: Conference on climate justice and the energy transition censat.org/… (in Spanish) .