Support of Costa Rica's carbon neutrality strategy as a model for low carbon development (phase II)
As of: April 2020
Objective and activities
Costa Rica has set itself the goal of becoming carbon neutral by 2021. With the assistance of the project "Support for the climate neutrality strategy of Costa Rica" significant progress was achieved since 2009, esp. in building institutional capacity and in the development of NAMAs. The coherent and transparent implementation of the various mitigation activities in the context of a low-carbon economic development is however still one of the core challenges of Costa Rica on the way to the low-carbon country. This is also a key priority of the new government since May 2014. The proposed project builds on the already achieved impacts and supports Costa Rica in the sustainable and traceable attainment of its international climate targets through the development and implementation of instruments of a climate-compatible governance incl. corresponding monitoring and funding mechanisms.
State of implementation/results
- Advising the Ministry of the Environment on the establishment of the Civil Society Climate Advisory Council (Consejo 5C) with representatives of i. a. indigenous people, women, NGOs, trade unions and business. In February 2018, this Climate Advisory Council was officially launched; meanwhile, it meets regularly and has worked out a work plan.
- The Science Council 4C was sworn in and started work in early 2019.
- Dialogue formats with the private and financial sectors (including Purdymotor (Toyota), BAC Credomatic, HOLCIM, FIFCO, Florex, the banking and insurance regulators) are successfully implemented to contribute to Costa Rican NDC implementation.
- In cooperation with the global project VICLIM (16_I_243_Global_G_VICLIM), a study trip to Mexico was organized to exchange experiences on climate change between community representatives on topics such as climate governance, MRV, vertical integration of climate policies, waste management, mobility and environmental protection.
- During a side event of the Pre-COP in October 2019, the first seven municipalities in the country will be honored for successfully calculating their greenhouse gas inventories.
- The key project has been instrumental in developing and establishing the national decarbonisation plan by organizing consultation formats involving key sectors and stakeholders.
- Within the projects implemented by GIZ in Costa Rica and other actors, the project has a central knowledge management function as well as the bundling of ongoing advisory and support processes towards the counterparts.
- Currently, the SPA project is co-ordinating the efficient application of Costa Rican funding under the CAEP (Climate Action Enhancement Package) initiative.
- The project, in collaboration with Urban Waste Management's Work Stream Good Practices, has conducted a webinar on experience in financing climate action at the local level.
- Project staff also participate in the regional data / blockchain and NDC implementation workstreams.
- Guidance on how to properly handle coolants in the cooling and cooling systems for businesses and communities has been developed in collaboration with the Cool Contributions project (15_I_242_Global_G_Cool Contributions C4): cambioclimatico.go.cr/… 08 / Gesti% C3% B3n-y uso-seguro-de-refrigerantes.pdf
- The platform of the Costa-rican Climate Secretariat is constantly being updated with new information: www.cambioclimatico.go.cr.
- 16.10.2019: Launch of the Waste Management Fund for small and medium-sized enterprises and municipalities together with the CRUSA Foundation.