Support of the Philippines for developing and implementing national contributions to the international climate change regime
As of: April 2020
Objective and activities
The Philippine government has established a comprehensive climate policy framework to ensure adaptation to climate change and the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions. As a key stakeholder, the Climate Change Commission (CCC) coordinates national climate policy and leads the international climate negotiations under the Chairmanship of the President. The project strengthens the CCC and other central stakeholders in coordinating national climate policy and in implementing adaptation measures and national contributions to international climate protection. Climate-smart industrial development increases the competitiveness of companies, and the expansion of renewable energies reduces supply bottlenecks. The project also supports the mobilisation of public and private funds for low-carbon approaches and the strengthening of resilience to climate change. The CCC ensures that the results of the project influence international climate negotiations.
State of implementation/results
- The project supports the evaluation and review process of the Nationale Climate Change Action Plan NCCAP 2011-2028. First results have been verified, challenges in the M&E process been identified and the review has started
- The NCCAP will also serve as the NAP and encompasses an innovative crossectoral approach.
- 162 cities and communes have integrated climate change adapation and mitigation in their land use planning and development planning through a climate smart planning approach.
- The Ministry of Energy and the Climate Change Commission received support for the development of an MRV tool and a GHG inventory. At the same time, staff received training on how to improve the GHG inventory process.
- In november 2017 the Phillipines joined the NDC Partnership and participated at the NDC Partnership Forum at UNFCCC COP 23 in Bonn
- In 2018 the following critical events were supported, e.g. NAP-NDC Consensus Building Forum, Business Summit, Panel on National Energy Policy Review and Climate Change Consciousness Week