Supporting Brazil in implementing its national agenda for adaptation to climate change
As of: March 2021
Brazil has adopted a national agenda for adaptation to climate change. Working in cooperation with the Brazilian Ministry of the Environment, the project increases the country’s climate resilience by improving the implementation of the Agenda. In this way, the Ministry of the Environment is strengthened in its coordinating function, e.g with the help of management tools such as the monitoring of adaptation measures. Stakeholders in selected sectors, states and municipalities are also given further training, enabling them to implement regulations, methods and instruments for the mainstreaming of adaptation to climate change and the associated measures. The project also uses awareness-raising measures to promote the adaptation of the private sector and civil society to climate change. The learning experiences gained from the project are ultimately disseminated both nationally and internationally.
State of implementation/results
- In June 2017 the first monitoring report of the national adaptation plan was published. The project supported the translation of the report into English language with the aim to facilitate its international distribution. The English translation was presented in November 2017 at the COP in Bonn
- The Brazilian Ministry of Environment (MMA) has presented its work related to adaptation to climate change in June 2018 at Adaptation Futures in South Africa
- Several Talanoa dialogues have already taken place in Brazil.
- The project has presented its BMU-MMA cooperation in the area of adaptation at COP 24 in Catowice: espacobrasil.gov.br/…
- cooperacaobrasil-alemanha.com/… –At the II Brazilian Forum for Environmental Management organized by the national Association of Urban Planning Departments (ANAMMA) the project held from 26-27 July 2019 a seminar on adaptation in urban areas cristalgloss.com/… –At the UNFCCC LAC Climate Week (LACCW) the project supported the city Salvador in the organisation of the two-day opening session “ Salvador Climate Change Panel” on 26-27.06.2019 docs.wixstatic.com/… --The publication of the Getúlio Vargas foundation „Planejando o Futuro Hoje: ODS 13, adaptação e mudanças climáticas em São Paulo” highlights the project for its innovative approach with the impacts of climate change in the city of Santos. climainfo.org.br/…