Supporting Brazil in implementing its national agenda for adaptation to climate change
As of: October 2021
Brazil has adopted a national agenda for adaptation to the consequences of climate change. The project supports the country in the effective implementation of the agenda and strengthens the coordination function of the Brazilian Ministry of Environment, for example with the help of management tools such as the monitoring of adaptation measures. Secondly, it educates key actors in selected sectors, states and municipalities. This enables them to implement regulations and instruments for mainstreaming adaptation to climate change impacts. In addition, the project promotes the adaptation of the private sector and civil society to climate change through awareness-raising activities. The project's learning experiences are disseminated both nationally and internationally.
State of implementation/results
- In February 2021 the Brazilian Ministry of Economics (ME) and the Ministry of Science and Technology (MCTI) supported by ProAdapta presented in various virtual formats the Portal on climate projection (adaptabrasil.mcti.gov.br) and the Portal „AdaptaBrasil“ (pclima.inpe.br/…).
- The final report of the analysis on climate risks and adaptation in the port of Itajai (Federal State Santa Catarina) was presented at a webinar on 15.12.2020 (www.portoitajai.com.br/…).
- In collaboration with the Association Boticario ProAdapta organised series of virtual workshops about ecosystem based Adaptation for participants of the regional Initiative for the protection of the Miringuava river basins (Federal State Paraná) (www.fundacaogrupoboticario.org.br/…).
- From 20-23 October the Brazilian Ministry of infrastructure organised a virtual national socio-ecological Forum about traffic infrastructure attended by 840 participants. ProAdapta supported the Ministry of infrastructure with contributions about green finance and resilient low carbon traffic infrastructure (viaviva.infraestrutura.gov.br).
- On 29th of December 2020 the climate action plan of Salvador/ Bahia was presented to the public (sustentabilidade.salvador.ba.gov.br/…).
- At the UNFCCC LAC Climate Week (LACCW) the project supported the city Salvador in the organisation of the two-day opening session “ Salvador Climate Change Panel” on 26-27.06.2019 docs.wixstatic.com/…
- The project supports the Environmental Management Committee (COGEA) and the teritorial administration Comittee (COGET) of the Ministry of Infrastructure (MInfra) in the revision of their guidelines for sectoral sustainability, which were presented on 03.02.2020: www.infraestrutura.gov.br/…
- On 22.01.2020 the project signed a partnership agreement with the national Water transport authority ANTAQ: portal.antaq.gov.br/…
- At the II Brazilian Forum for Environmental Management organized by the national Association of Urban Planning Departments (ANAMMA) the project held from 26-27 July 2019 a seminar on adaptation in urban areas cristalgloss.com/…
- The Brazilian Ministry of Environment (MMA) presented its work related to adaptation to climate change in June 2018 at Adaptation Futures in South Africa. Contributions to UNFCCC COPs: