Supporting Brazil in the implementation of its National Agenda for Climate Change Adaptation
As of: April 2020
Objective and activities
Implemented in cooperation with Brazil’s Ministry of the Environment, the project´s objective is to raise the country’s climate resilience by effectively implementing its National Agenda for Climate Change Adaptation. In this context, the Environment Ministry is being supported in its role as a coordinating institution, e.g., with the help of management instruments like M&E for adaptation. Furthermore, capacities in selected sectors, states and municipalities will be developed, in order to implement public policies, methods and instruments for the mainstreaming of climate change adaptation as well as replicable adaptation measures. In parallel, the project promotes adaptation of the private sector and civil society though awareness raising measures. Finally, the project’s lessons learnt will be disseminated at national and international level.
Climate Policy Programme Brazil (PoMuC)
State of implementation/results
- In June 2017 the first monitoring report of the national adaptation plan was published. The project supported the translation of the report into English language with the aim to facilitate its international distribution. The English translation was presented in November 2017 at the COP in Bonn
- The Brazilian Ministry of Environment (MMA) has presented its work related to adaptation to climate change in June 2018 at Adaptation Futures in South Africa
- Several Talanoa dialogues have already taken place in Brazil.
- The project has presented its BMU-MMA cooperation in the area of adaptation at COP 24 in Catowice: espacobrasil.gov.br/…
- cooperacaobrasil-alemanha.com/… –At the II Brazilian Forum for Environmental Management organized by the national Association of Urban Planning Departments (ANAMMA) the project held from 26-27 July 2019 a seminar on adaptation in urban areas cristalgloss.com/… –At the UNFCCC LAC Climate Week (LACCW) the project supported the city Salvador in the organisation of the two-day opening session “ Salvador Climate Change Panel” on 26-27.06.2019 docs.wixstatic.com/… --The publication of the Getúlio Vargas foundation „Planejando o Futuro Hoje: ODS 13, adaptação e mudanças climáticas em São Paulo” highlights the project for its innovative approach with the impacts of climate change in the city of Santos. climainfo.org.br/…