Sustainable forest management models and private financing for secondary forests
As of: October 2021
Since secondary forests do not create any economic benefits in many countries of Central America, their potential for climate protection remains unused. The project aims to change this situation by creating a basis for promoting the sustainable management of secondary forests in the region, and demonstration areas have been set up in the partner countries to communicate the potential and technical feasibility of efficient management to this end. Suitable forest management concepts have also been developed and local landowners and administrations are advised on their implementation. Where implementation is broad-based, the project relies on the involvement of private sector stakeholders, develops policy recommendations and identifies areas with a rich potential for forest management. The economic management and use of secondary forests creates financial incentives to preserve these ecosystem services and generates new sources of income for the local population.
State of implementation/results
- Trainings for sustainable forestry
- Online platform for sustainable wood products
- Stakeholder meeting with different actors from national forest institutions in El Salvador (April 2019)
- Workshop with 20 forestry experts from Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica on the sustainable management of degraded secondary forests (July 2018) - launch of an E-commerce online platform for timber products in Guatemala (forestmarketgt.com)
- Co-organization of the 3rd roundtable promoting the sustainable timber industry in Central America (September 2018)
- Manufacturing and piloting of an innovative instrument for the mensuration of trees in secundary forests (September 2018)
- Implementation of a demonstration area for the sustainable and productive use of secondary forests in Costa Rica
- Release of a manual on the sustainable management of secondary forests in Central America (repositorio.bibliotecaorton.catie.ac.cr/…)
- Release of a working paper on growth rates of tree species in secondary forests in Central America (www.researchgate.net/…)
- First course on Secondary Forest business models and management from July 24th to 28th with the participation of 20 forest practitioners from partner countries
- Discussion process with the department of financial mechanisms and industry of INAB to build up an agenda to link the financial sector (national banks and other stakeholders) with the forestry sector to create new financial instruments for the sector.
- Negotiations with Costa Rican forest authorities to support needs on training in secondary forest.
- Agreements in process to create demonstration areas for secondary forest management in Guatemala with “Defensores de la Naturaleza” a local NGO, in Honduras with the “Agriculture Pan-American School” and in Costa Rica with “Estación Experimental Horizontes” a National Forest service experimental site.