Terrestrial Carbon Accounting International Academic Partnership (TCAICP)
As of: June 2021
The Carbon Institute will build sustainable academic capacity to teach quality TCA within Indonesia and China by leveraging an Advanced TCA Certificate taught at the University of California in 2013. The Greenhouse Gas Management Institute will organize The Carbon Institute, working through partners, to establish national high-quality TCA certificate programs that integrate Policy Context, IPCC Guidelines, Emissions Factors, Activity Data, Statistics, and Communications. Curriculums will be designed through academic and national government consultations to directly serve country needs. The Carbon Institute will organize an international advisory panel, conduct scoping studies, develop nationally-tailored certificate programs, build tool books that aid accreditation, marketing, evaluation, and support faculty and alumni of TCA certificate programs. Collectively, this grant will complete 240 student-courses per country, resulting in at least 80 advanced TCA Certificates issued.
State of implementation/results
- The Carbon Institute trains leaders to implement Nature Based Solutions to climate change, The Carbon Institute supports the UNFCCC process and the Enhanced Transparency Framework of the Paris Agreement. 2018 and 2019 Terrestrial Carbon Accounting (TCA) Certificate programs in China and Indonesia support international climate change policy processes by training advanced terrestrial carbon accounting faculty and professionals.
- Project website: www.carboninstitute.org
- The project has completed six TCA curricula: 1) TCA policy contexts, 2) Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change inventory guidelines and classification, 3) TCA activity data, 4) TCA emissions factors, 5) TCA statistics, and 6) policy and communication.
- A first Chinese Terrestrial Carbon Accounting (TCA) Certificate course was completed in August 2018, with 79 graduates earning certificates. A second certificate program run in August of 2019 brought the total number of professional trainers to more than 100. The course generated very positive reviews. Based on pre- and post-exams, there were significant increases in aptitudes in all TCA subjects.
- A first Indonesian Terrestrial Carbon Accounting (TCA) Certificate course was completed in September 2018, with 28 graduates earning certificates. A second certificate program, run in August 2019, brought the total number of professionals trained to 48. The percent of women enrolled increased from 2018 to 2019, from 36% to 45%. Pre- and post-evaluations showed significant self improvements in understanding of all six TCA topics.
- Carbon Institute partners held their 2018 "All Partners" event at the Global Climate Action Summit. The Carbon Institute had two official summit “affiliated events, both celebrating TCA Certificate courses in China and Indonesia and similar courses in Africa. Click here for more information: ucnrs.org/
- Partners continue to develop additional curriculums beyond the scope of the original grant. New teaching materials in blue carbon and the Paris Agreement’s rule book on the Enhanced Transparency Framework will be made available through the curriculum library: carboninstitute.org/…
- The Carbon Institute Council was formed to oversee accreditation processes for TCA Certificates, to scale the partnership into new regions and countries, to form new partnerships, and to secure funds to sustain and scale the partnership once the original grant ends in early 2020.
- The Carbon Institute council adopted a five-pronged workplan (1. accreditation, 2. governance, 3. fund raising, 4. replication, 5. new partnerships) for 2019.
- In 2019, The Carbon Institute Council completed accreditation of TCA Certificates in China and Indonesia. Both TCA programs were successfully accredited internationally and nationally.