Towards 100% renewable energy cities and regions for climate change mitigation
As of: September 2021
The use of renewable energies (RE) as well as achieving local improvements to energy efficiency are both key aspects of climate change mitigation. The project supports cities and regions in partner countries in efforts to develop strategies for sourcing 100 percent of their energy needs from renewables. It is also helping relevant stakeholders to engage in the deployment of renewable energy sources and assesses local potential for renewables, creates implementation models and helps promising projects to raise financing. The project also initiates a dialogue between the various levels of government, strengthens expertise in the renewables field and encourages the development of suitable framework at the national, regional and local level. In this way, the project promotes the expansion of renewables energies and improves energy efficiency.
State of implementation/results
- The cities and regions were selected for the project:
- In Kenya: Kisumu County (Deep Dive Region), Nakuru County and Mombasa County (Networking Region)
- In Indonesia: West Nusa Tenggara (Deep Dive Region) Mataram City and Sumbawa Regency (Networking City/Region)
- In Argentina: Avellaneda (Deep Dive region), Rosario and La Plata (Networking region)
- Cooperation with the cities and regions has begun. National advisory groups have been established with the relevant ministries in the three countries and have met. These national working groups will anchor the multi-level governance of RE projects and policies in the project countries.
- The project organised an international Daring Cities event on "100% Renewable Energy Roadmaps - Contributing to the Global Energy Transition".
- In Argentina:
- The Deep-dive City Kick-off was held in May 2020, attended by the project implementation team, private sector representatives, the ICLEI World Secretariat and counterparts from the network cities. Avellaneda shared its initial status. ICLEI facilitated a SWOT analysis of the on-ground project implementation and a validation of the stakeholder mapping.
- The first national working group was held in December 2020. The meeting explored strategic opportunities to access funding for local RE projects.
- In Indonesia:
- Visioning workshops Mataram took place in January 2021: West Nusa Tenggara stakeholders created a shared vision for the 100% renewable energy action plan.
- Organisation of the Multilevel Governance Dialogue in November 2020.
- In Kenya: a visioning workshop for Kisumu County was held on 19.11.2020, wherein a vision statement was developed.