Transformational project pipelines for NDC Implementation
As of: September 2021
To date, many countries have lacked a clear pathway to financing and implementing their NDCs. To rectify this situation, the project is building capacity in partner countries to ensure they have the resources and skills needed to develop innovation initiatives that will combine NDC implementation with public- and private-sector financing. Cooperation partners include finance and environment ministries, national development banks and national funds. The overall aim is to enable government partners to obtain climate financing from public funding bodies—and the Green Climate Fund in particular, with individual measures being tailored to national needs. Work being completed by the project includes country-specific analyses of options for accessing multilateral climate funds, the development of online tools for linking project developers to sources of financing and support for the establishment of institutional structures for NDC funding.
State of implementation/results
- The project is partnering with the Ministry of Economy’s Climate Change Division. Through this partnership a Climate Finance Snapshot and an accompanying Climate Finance Country Program has been created.
- The project is also helping to set up two new platforms: the Drua Incubator, which is aimed at enabling Fiji to improve access to disaster risk finance, and a Project Development Unit, to help the country more efficiently access finance for climate initiatives.
- The project is working primarily with the state governments of Madhya Pradesh, Sikkim and Tamil Nadu.
- The project has created an Advisory Group of experts to guide work on climate resilience bonds.
- The project works primarily with the Ministry of Public Finance.
- It is supporting access to finance for a landscape restoration initiative that involves collaboration between several government agencies including the ministries of finance, agriculture and environment, along with the protected areas and forest agencies.