Transparent policy making – cooperative MRV platform in the Caribbean
As of: October 2021
MRV is an important foundation for policy-making within the framework of the Paris Agreement. The project is establishing a “Caribbean Cooperative MRV Hub (CCMRVH)” to create greenhouse gas inventories, assess climate mitigation measures and track progress towards national climate targets. The platform will bring together experts from different countries and create regional institutional prerequisites for the cross-national use of expert knowledge on MRV. National specialists are developing institutional structures, emission-relevant data structures and drafts for political strategies and international reporting. Specialist MRV knowledge is also being improved through training and the project is developing framework conditions for the dissemination and sustainable use of the “Hub”.
State of implementation/results
- In February 2019, The MRV Hub established a physical base at St. George’s University, Grenada, in the UNFCCC-Regional Collaboration Centre (RCC) offices for the Caribbean region and the Windward Islands Research & Education Foundation (WINDREF).
- The region-wide project kickoff meeting (“Enhancing MRV/Transparency Processes in Climate Action in the English-Speaking Caribbean: Kick-off meeting of the Caribbean Cooperative Monitoring, Reporting & Verification Hub (CCMRVH)”) was held at St. George’s University in Grenada, February 5-6, with 37 countries representatives and observers present (not including project partners).
- The MRV Hub has hosted multiple training sessions on the 2006 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories, as well as data collection and data management systems.
- The MRV Hub has completed the country-specific MRV System Status Assessments and finalised Capacity Building Reports for all member countries.
- Following the country assessment process, the MRV Hub has launched the following sector specific work crews to address high priority needs and gaps: data management systems (DMS), maritime bunker fuel emission estimates, on-road mobile sources, and forestry and other land-use.
- A call for participation was issued on June 30, inviting regional experts to participate in one or more of the MRV Hub’s work crews (forestry & other land use (FOLU), data management systems and on-road mobile sources). Regional experts have begun working alongside MRV Hub staff, ensuring that proposed solutions take into account regional circumstances and capacity building needs. There continues to be an opportunity for regional experts to join work crews as candidates are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
- The MRV Hub continues to host a dedicated webpage for the project, along with a dedicated facebook page. Within this webpage the project has launched and regularly updates a MRV Hub regional event and coordination calendar. The Project also issues a bi-monthly newsletter covering recent MRV Hub news, events, and opportunities.
- The MRV Hub is led by a Permanent Steering Committee consisting of 8 members from each stakeholder group (member countries, implementing partners and regional organizations). Member countries serve for two year terms on a rotational basis; current membership of the steering committee is 1) Belize (Chair), 2) Grenada, 3) Saint Lucia, 4) The Bahamas, 5) 5C’s, 6) UNDP, 7) UNFCCC/RCC, 8) GHGMI.
- In the 3rd quarter of 2020, the MRV Hub recruited and hired three new full-time staff from a pool of Caribbean applicants: a Technical Support Associate tasked with supporting the development of tools and work crews; and two Programme Associates tasked with providing regionally-pooled institutional arrangements that empower MRV Hub member countries to efficiently establish MRV systems, develop GHG inventories, mitigation assessments, and track NDCs.
- MRV Hub Modeling & Projections Program (MPP): The MRV Hub "Mitigation and Modeling Program" created and hosted a series of webinars entitled "THG Mitigation Modeling Tools Introduction Webinar Series". The seven webinars took place from April to July 2021. In this series, various models for reducing greenhouse gases (GHG) as well as projection models and tools from Caribbean countries were presented. The MRV Hub experts worked together with experts from various organizations (UNFCCC Regional Collaboration Center (RCC-St. George's), Greenhouse Gas Management Institute (GHGMI), Caribbean Center for Renewable Energy & Energy Efficiency (CCREEE), UNEP-DTU Partnership, NewClimate Institutes, UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) and Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI)) to provide this important content.
- Summer Academy 2021: On August 4th, 2021 the MRV Hub started its 2nd virtual summer academy. The online program lasted 8 weeks and consisted of 3 hours of training per week, including homework, a live lecture and a consultation hour. The aim of the summer academy was to build capacities for the collection of GHG inventory data, the compilation, documentation of procedures and the improvement of the activity data in the GHG inventories.
- Project Outreach: The MRV Hub continues to host a dedicated website for the project here, along with a dedicated Facebook page. The project has started a regional event and coordination calendar of the MRV hub on this website and updates it regularly. The project also publishes a bi-monthly newsletter that contains the latest news, events and opportunities from the MRV Hub. The 10th & 11th editions of the newsletter were published in May and August 2021.