- On 9th and 10th March 2017 the launch workshop was held in Grand-Popo, Benin.
- The first francophone NAP-forum (topic: “integration of adaptation into budgetary processes and strategic communication”) took place in August 2018. Eleven francophone African countries took place. The forum was organized in collaboration with the NAP Global Network.
- The second francophone NAP Forum tool place in July 2019 in Dakar, Senegal. It was co-organised with the NAP Global Network. Adaptation practitioners from eight francophone African countries (Benin, Burkina Faso, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Morocco, Mali, Madagascar, Guinea, und Senegal) and Haiti exchanged about the themes 1.) The role of the private sector in the adaptation process, 2.) Integration of genderaspects in the adaptation process, and 3.) Direct access of national institutions to international climate finance. www.international-climate-initiative.com/…
- From August 2018 to August 2019 a francophone series of Webinars on the NAP process reached 1529 participants, 839 of them are adaptation practitioners in francophone least developed countries. All webinars are accessible at the following link: www.adaptationcommunity.net/… or www.youtube.com/…
- In February and May 2019 regional write shops for proposal writing to the Green Climate Fund took place. Project developer from Benin, Burkina Faso and Senegal and the national Accredited Entities were supported in the development of Adaptation projects. This resulted in five concept notes with a total volume of 87.6 Mio. USD for adaptation projects in the sectors of agriculture, health and coastal protection. www.international-climate-initiative.com/…
- In Senegal and Benin in 2018, for the first time participatory vulnerability analyses were undertaken accompanying national and international scientists in their application of new methods and models for assessing climate change impact, which at the same time contributed to increasing their capacity.
- The Climate Proofing Tool was successfully applied resulting in the integration of adaptation into several national strategies: In June 2018 the National Health Plan (PDNS 2018-2022) has been validated, in October 2018 The National Development Plan of Benin (PND 2018-2025), has been validated by the Ministerial Council. In 2018 the planning ministry in Benin was advised on integrating adaptation into the analytical memo for 2018.
- In February 2019 the vulnerability analyses of the three key sectors (agriculture, water resources, health) have been presented and validated by related interest groups.
- On 21st March 2019 the Terms of Reference for the development of the NAP of Benin have been validated by the National Climate Change Commission. This process will be supported by the project in collaboration with the GIZ water programme.
- In January 2019 together with the GIZ Project on Macroeconomic Development the project started a process to support the integration of climate change into national planning and budgetary processes.
- On 11th and 12th April the launching workshop took place in Dakar.
- In December 2017 an analysis of the national planning and budgeting process has been undertaken and validated with the concerned stakeholders. This analysis serves as the basis for the integration of adaptation into political frameworks.
- The application of the Climate Proofing tool lead to the integration of climate change considerations into the Action Plan for Water Resource Management (PAGIRE 2018-2025).
- From July to September 2019 the results of the vulnerability analysis of the region Fatick supported the integration of climate change in the community development plan of Keur Saloum Diané. The four-year development plan was validated on 25th of September 2019 and includes 15 adaptation activities. These vulnerability analyses also serve as the basis for two reports, which are attached to the GCF Concept Notes on the coastal areas and the agriculture in Fatick.
- In November 2018 the launching and planning workshop took place.
- In October 2018 a working group for the vulnerability analysis in the water sector was established. At the beginning of 2019 a second working group was established for the analysis of climate change on the economy. In April 2019 work on the analyses of the impact of climate change on the agricultural production has started. In June 2019 a vulnerability analysis of sylvo-agro-pastoral production systems has started.
- In September 2018 a participatory stocktake on the current state of national adaptation using the SNAP-Tool took place with representatives from Ministries, civil society and science. Thereafter a roadmap for capacity building was established, which was validated in February 2019. Specific needs have been identified for M&E, leveraging of additional finance for the assessment and distribution of information.
- In November 2018 the IPACC (Indigenous Peoples of Africa Co-ordinating Committee) informed representatives of indigenous people about their potential role in the NAP process and raised awareness at the various sector ministries involved in the NAP process about the needs and adaptation options for indigenous people. As a result, the NAP coordination structure assured that indigenous concerns would be duly taken into consideration in the revision of the NAP in 2020.
- In July 2019, as a result of the vulnerability analysis undertaken by the project, climate change was integrated in the national water strategy (SNE).
Various vulnerability analyses, related Policy Briefs, and Videos about vulnerability are available below. Furthermore, a step-by-step practical guideline in French was developed based on the experiences from the vulnerability analyses from the project:
At COP25, the NAP Global Network shared lessons from the project with an international audience within their stories of progress: napglobalnetwork.org/…, und napglobalnetwork.org/… Factsheets of the project are available on the partner`s platform: www.adaptationcommunity.net/…
- Senegal: An assessment of the climate variability and the future climate trends, four Policy Briefs about vulnerability analysis, and four Videos about the process of the vulnerability analysis and the capacity building Policy Briefs: climateanalytics.org/…