Water and Wastewater Companies for Climate Mitigation (WaCCliM)
As of: January 2022
Water and wastewater companies are among the major energy consumers in developing and emerging countries. In the partner countries of Peru, Jordan and Mexico, the project supports pilot companies in the use of greenhouse gas emission-reducing technologies, including measures to reduce water loss, energy-efficient pumps, biogas generation and fertiliser recovery from wastewater. At the national level, the project advises the countries on how to create financing mechanisms and political framework conditions, enabling more demonstration projects. Greenhouse gas-reducing technologies are further developed and disseminated through knowledge management between the pilot companies, national and regional associations and an Internet-based knowledge platform. In this way, the project contributes to the international dissemination and improvement of climate protection approaches for water and wastewater companies.
State of implementation/results
- Consultation on water risk management plans (in Russaifeh, Jordan) and reporting on water-related NDCs begins in September 2021.
- Study to identify national and international climate finance opportunities for water and wastewater utilities (WAU) in Mexico published
- Baseline studies on mitigation potential, Climate risks, and policy and institutional frameworks produced.
- Internet-based learning and information platform for carbon neutrality and climate resilience of water and wastewater utilities is online.
- Support for National Determined Contributions (NDC) in partner countries at the water and energy interface
- Development of the Energy performance and Carbon Assessment and Monitoring (ECAM) tool and associated training materials.
- The new version ECAM 3.0 with improved user-friendliness and applicability is online since July.
- Advising the Ministries of Water and Environment in the countries Jordan, Mexico and Peru on the establishment of climate monitoring systems to measure greenhouse gas emissions in the water sector using the ECAM tool.
- Development and publication of an internationally applicable methodology to generate business-as-usual scenarios for greenhouse gas emissions in the water and wastewater sector incl. of two case studies of water companies in Jordan and Mexico.
- More than 320 people from water and wastewater companies have been trained in the application and operation of climate-friendly technologies and on the use of the ECAM tool in and beyond the partner countries.
- Operational and process optimizations of the pilot plants have resulted in annual savings of more than 10.000 tons of CO2 equivalents.
- Installation of energy-efficient pumps reduce energy consumption (40%) and GHG emissions in Madaba (Jordan).
- Optimized sewage sludge treatment in Cusco (Peru) saves 7,800 tons of CO2 equivalents annually, equivalent to approx. 5,570 roundtrip flights Lima-Frankfurt-Lima of one person
- Reduction of 2,500 tons of CO2 equivalents per year by increasing the connection level to the wastewater treatment plant, resulting in 40% reduction of GHG emissions in the pilot company in San Francisco del Rincón (Mexico).