Reducing Emissions through Integration and Optimization of Public Transport in Jakarta
As of: August 2019
Objective and activities
TransJakarta, the first and longest bus rapid transit (BRT) system in Asia, was initiated by Jakarta with support from ITDP. Today, it forms the backbone of Jakarta's transport system. If properly integrated with the new Metro and improved pedestrian and bicycle access, daily ridership could increase from 330,000 to 1 million. With ITDP support, TransJakarta has been converted into an autonomous public authority with a chance to greatly improve its operations. ITDP has been asked to help physically integrate it with the new Metro, optimize its services, improve NMT access, and help the city reform new zoning and parking regulations in the city. A goal is to upgrade TransJakarta to Gold Standard BRT and change zoning and parking regulations to be consistent with Gold Standard transit oriented development. ITDP has also been asked by the Mayor of Medan to develop a conceptual plan for the first full BRT outside Jakarta.
State of implementation/results
- The Public Works Agency in Jakarta began several NMT improvement projects. ITDP contributed with input on pedestrian-oriented streets with better quality sidewalks.
- Transjakarta, with support and input from ITDP, has shown significant increases in its daily ridership also in 2019 compared to 2018. These gains are mainly a result of increasing the number of routes, including direct-service routes, from 34 routes in 2015 to more than 113 routes in 2018.
- Medan plans to implement a high-quality BRT system as part of their mass transit plan, partly based on ITDP’s design and plan.
- Medan and Jakarta began the implementation of pedestrian infrastructure improvements.
- Together with several partners ITDP initiated the walking promotion campaign #pedestrianfirst.
- 01/2019 Release of two knowledge products that assist local und city government officials in improving their transit systems: Pedoman Itegrasi Angkutan Umum (Mass Transit Integration Guideline): www.itdp-indonesia.org/… and Garis Besar Panduan Reformasi Angkutan Umum di Indonesia (Mass Transit Reform Guideline for Indonesian Cities): www.itdp-indonesia.org/…