As of: January 2018
Adapting Public Investment to Climate Change in Latin America (IPACC II)
Objective and activities
Between 11/2011 and 04/2015, in partnership with the Peruvian Ministries (MEF and MINAM), Adapting Public Investment to Climate Change Project (IPACC I) was executed, achieving the implementation of climate risk analyses in the national procedures for public investment. Thereby, in order to exploit the Peruvian advances and expand their experiences, IPACC II was commissioned. On the one hand this project will strengthen the capacities in Peru. On the other hand this innovative approach shall be adapted and transferred to other countries of Latin America, specifically to Brazil and Colombia. This project contributes considerably to reducing climate induced economic, social and ecologic damages and thereby leads to a better adaptation to climate change.
- Adapting Public Investment to Climate Change
State of implementation/results
- The project IPACC II supported the Ministry of Economy and Finance (MEF) regarding the preparation of technical training materials in order to incorporate risk management and climate change in the planning and evaluation of public investment projects in Peru.
- in October 2016 the regular meeting of the three project countries took place in Cusco, Peru; the delegation visited investment projects that have been advised by teh project IPACC I
- the project supported the participation of representatives of all three countries at the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Management of UNISDR
- Brazilien President Michel Temer mentioned the project in his annual speech to the congress in Brazil. This shows the importance of the project and risk management and adaptation of public investments to climate change
- think tank Overseas Development Institute ODI produced a short film about the project