Advancing climate strategies in rapidly motorising countries
As of: June 2018
Objective and activities
The TraCS project supports transport ministries and other relevant authorities in Vietnam and Kenya in systematically assessing greenhouse gas emissions in the transport sector and in calculating emission reduction potentials through the development of scenarios. This way TraCS enables policy makers in partner countries to specify the contribution of the transport sector to the NDCs. TraCS supports the Vietnamese Ministry of Transport in the design of its sectoral climate action plan and the establishment of a bottom-up emissions inventory in the transport sector. At the international level, TraCS organises an active exchange between implementing partners, technical experts and donor organisations in order to enhance methodological coherence in emission quantification in the transport sector (South-South and South-North dialogue). The dialogue aims to internationally increase transparency and harmonisation of methodological approaches in the transport sector.
State of implementation/results
- A working group on Tier 3 inventory for transport emissions has been established by the Vietnamese Ministry of Transport.
- Supported by the project, the working group has developed new methodologies to quantify GHG emissions and thereby a preliminary calculation for GHG emissions from the transport sector for 2015 (calculations for 2013 to 2016 are following).
- Support to the Vietnamese Ministry of Transport for the revision of transport data ("Circular on Statistics").
- In cooperation with UNFCCC the project coordinated the new Transport Volume of the Compendium on Baselines and Monitoring.
- Elaboration of an MRV methodology to quantify climate effects of sustainable urban mobility plans.