Capacity building for low carbon growth in Ukraine
As of: August 2018
Objective and activities
The project assisted Ukraine in developing a long-term strategy that combines economic growth with low CO2 emissions. It built the capacity of the Ukrainian Government to develop and implement such a long-term low-carbon growth strategy, helping to prepare the introduction of a national emissions trading system (ETS). This involved developing models for monitoring greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and projecting their future course, thereby improving the monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) of the activities. These models and projections then provided the basis for climate policy measures. The integrated project approach enabled appropriate decision-making instruments to be applied, strengthening Ukraine's general institutional capacity for developing and implementing climate policies.
State of implementation/results
- Project completed
- Completed sectoral analysis of Ukraine's greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and comprehensive projections: Preparation of the specific forecasting models of certain economic sectors (e.g. energy, heat supply), including the incorporation of available sector-specific marginal abatement cost (MAC) curves;
- Impact assessment of the mitigation potential of the identified policies and measures at the macroeconomic and sectoral levels;
- Draft of the concept of a low carbon development plan of Ukraine, setting out a vision for the country’s new development path up to 2020 and 2050;
- Support for relevant legal and regulatory analysis, legislative proposals, provide necessary support to enable their submission to the parliament of Ukraine;
- Analysis of the domestic emissions trading scheme’s main elements, such as its goals and objectives, aggregate and sectoral caps, MRV standards, economic assessment, and assessment of possibilities for linking it with other Former Soviet Union countries, particularly with Kazakhstan;
- Project results have been used while drafting the Intended Nationally Determined Contribution (INDC) for Ukraine and for the concept for the establishment of the Emission Trading System (ETS);
- 17.12.2015: Conference on low carbon development and climate policy strategy with participation of Government, business, academia, NGOs, and international organizations.