Capacity development for a monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) system in Turkey
As of: August 2018
Objective and activities
The aim of the project is to provide targeted support to the Turkish Ministry of Environment and City Planning in implementing the National Climate Change Action Plans (NCCAP). The project is working together with its partner to establish the basis for a monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) system. The project partners are building the technical and institutional infrastructure, developing sector-specific MRV guidelines and regulations, and contributing to policy-making aimed at establishing an emissions trading system. In accordance with the train-the-trainers approach, multipliers will be trained in order to spread knowledge within the central institutions. Over time, the project is therefore creating the conditions for introducing a national emissions trading system or potentially linking to the European emissions trading system (EU-ETS).
State of implementation/results
- Organized a workshop with experts from the Turkish environment ministry (MoEU) and the German Emissions Trading Authority (DEHSt) in Berlin. Optimized the online-based MRV data management system, which serves to assess monitoring plans for greenhouse gas emissions submitted by installations, together with DEHSt using German examples.
- Implemented a Training of Trainers approach for the verification of monitoring plans for staff of MoEU and the independent verification body (TÜRKAK) on the basis of a capacity needs assessment. This included training material and presentations related to the verification process.
- Conducted MRV trainings with companies in ten different industrial sectors to apply a manual on how to compile monitoring plans. The companies are perfectly prepared to comply with regulations and submit valid monitoring plans to MoEU. About 600 persons participated in the offered workshops and learned from German examples within the EU-ETS.
- Completed a study trip of experts from MoEU and TÜRKAK regarding the verification of monitoring plans of German installations in October 2015, including visits to eight relevant companies.
- Currently developing a training unit for support related to MRV with the Turkish Environmental Protection Foundation (TUCEV).