Capacity Development for GHG inventories and MRV in Tunisia
As of: August 2018
Objective and activities
The project supported the development of a comprehensive national measurement, reporting and verification (MRV) system for reduction measures, including greenhouse gas (GHG) monitoring. While Tunisia has developed concepts for nationally appropriate mitigation actions (NAMAs), it lacked rigorous MRV systems for these actions. This situation was remedied by capacity development as well as the development and application of a pilot MRV system for an existing NAMA: the Energy Efficiency in the building Sector within the Tunisian Solar Plan. Through its successful implementation, the project can act as a pilot for MRV systems in other partner countries and serve as a good example for the international process of implementing MRV systems. In addition, it indirectly contributed to good governance (transparency; accountability) in environmental and energy policies.
State of implementation/results
- Project completed.
- Support in developing the Tunisian Intended Nationally Determined Contribution (INDC) by conducting a study, identifying a realistic and ambitious long-term objective, based on the results of the national GHG inventory.
- The project has developed the internet portal www.MRV.tn with the National Energy Agency, which along with general information on the different NAMAs in Tunisia particularly presents the work on monitoring and reporting.
- Reductions of CO2 emissions from private and public administration buildings are now measurable through the operational MRV system of the Building NAMA measures.
- Institutional structure for the national GHG inventory developed, including sectoral working groups.
- Gap analysis on the strengths and weaknesses of the current information systems conducted, analysing both institutional and technical requirements and providing an action plan for improving the national inventory system and an MRV system for the energy sector.
- Training on inventory building conducted for the government staff of all sectors involved (energy sector, industrial processes and product use, agriculture and land use, solid waste management, and waste water treatment); data providers and other stakeholders trained on special issues.
- Training for the improvement of the national energy balance as a main data source for the GHG inventory of the energy sector conducted.
- Government supported in compiling the national GHG inventory (reference year: 2010) for the first Tunisian Biennial Update Report (BUR).
- Inventory building on the sub-national level introduced by a setting up an inventory (Bilan Carbone) for the city of Sfax.
- Training sessions on MRV of NAMAs with international experts implemented; MRV system for the Tunisian Housing NAMA in test phase; the approach to be replicated for all other NAMAs in the energy sector (Solar Plan NAMA, Cement NAMA, Transport NAMA).
- Regional Transport NAMA approach for the region of Sfax almost completed with a lot of interest at the national level; Transport Ministry and ANME want to develop a national transport NAMA and are seeking support.
- Technical paper on Co-Benefits of the innovative MRV system of the Building NAMA.