Caribbean Cooperative MRV Hub (CCMRVH)
As of: November 2019
Objective and activities
The project will establish the Caribbean Cooperative MRV Hub (CCMRVH) to assist the English-speaking countries in the Caribbean region to efficiently develop GHG inventories, mitigation projections, and track their NDCs. The CCMRVH will pool experts from participating countries to establish regional MRV institutional arrangements and products. The project’s target beneficiaries are the national governments of the participating countries as well as existing and new experts engaged in MRV work in each of these countries. The project’s key actions are: a) establishing and operating the CCMRVH, b) conducting needs assessments, c) developing streamlined MRV institutional arrangements, d) producing transparent MRV and mitigation outputs for countries, e) enhancing expert capacity through mentoring and training, and f) developing frameworks for Hub sustainability and for replication.
State of implementation/results
- The MRV Hub has launched with a physical base at St. George’s University, Grenada, in the UNFCCC-Regional Collaboration Centre (RCC) offices for the Caribbean region and the Windward Islands Research & Education Foundation (WINDREF).
- The project partners held an official side event at COP24 (Katowice) on December 3, entitled “Cooperative Regional Models for MRV,” featuring representatives from the Government of Trinidad and Tobago, the Government of Belize, the GHG Management Institute, the Windward Islands Research and Education Foundation, the UNFCCC, and the UNDP/UNEP Global Support Programme. A recording of the side event can be accessed here: ghginstitute.org/…
- The region-wide project kickoff meeting (“Enhancing MRV/Transparency Processes in Climate Action in the English-Speaking Caribbean: Kick-off meeting of the Caribbean Cooperative Monitoring, Reporting & Verification Hub (CCMRVH)”) was held at St. George’s University in Grenada, February 5-6, with 37 countries representatives and observers present (not including project partners). A Meeting report can be found here; www.un-gsp.org/…
- The MRV Hub organized its first training session on “Introduction to the 2006 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories” on March 14. The MRV Hub workshop had participation by 9 individuals from 9 Hub countries (Antigua and Barbuda, The Bahamas, Belize, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, St. Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, and Trinidad and Tobago).
- The MRV Hub is conducting bilateral scoping trips with Caribbean countries.