Cities Matter: Capacity building in sub-Saharan African megacities for transformational climate change mitigation
As of: May 2019
Objective and activities
This project aims to: a) build technical capacity within nine African cities to develop long-term climate action plans, b) develop an innovative, consistent and comprehensive approach to a transformative city low carbon development, c) identify mechanisms to facilitate better national and local integration of climate mitigation activities. A key focus on this project is to embed a C40 City Advisor in cities to act as a focal point for long-term climate action planning, engage internal and external stakeholders,facilitate knowledge transfer across the region, and ensure sustainability after the project duration. A series of in-city workshops will be held for all cities, complemented by regional workshops, to build capacity and enable peer interaction. Tools and resources – underpinned by existing city practices and international GHG and MRV approaches – will be developed in collaboration with the cities. This includes action planning frameworks and a GHG emission projection tool.
State of implementation/results
- Regional Coordinator and Project Manager to coordinate regional project from South Africa
- Eight C40 City Advisors have been recruited and have commenced work, the ninth City Advisor to be recruited for Abidjan in Q2 2019
- Regional C40 Climate Action Planning Africa Programme Launch in Lagos, Nigeria 15 May 2018
- Second Regional Academy planned for mid 2019 in Johannesburg, South Africa
- In-city workshops in seven partner cities Nairobi, Johannesburg, Accra, Cape Town, Tshwane, Dakar and Lagos carried out, focus on trainings on greenhouse gas inventories, emission scenario planning, assessment of possibilities for transformative climate action in the cities
- Strategic appraisals on climate action completed in six cities
- Climate action for URBan sustainability (CURB) tool updated, more user-friendly version is available for scenario planning
- GPC compliant GHG inventories completed in 7 cities -- Climate Action Planning Framework has been developed to support cities in developing 1.5 degree climate action plans that align with the Paris Agreement.