Climate Change Mitigation by Promoting Energy Efficiency in Buildings
As of: March 2019
Objective and activities
The project conducted a baseline study as a basis for the introduction of a carbon exchange for the construction sector. This exchange intended to open up new sources of financing for renovation projects and to provide incentives for reductions in greenhouse gas emissions. Firstly, the existing housing stock in selected towns and cities was registered and classified. Secondly, the project determined the respective heating energy requirement and potential for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Training of key stakeholders for climate protection in the housing sector
State of implementation/results
- Project completed
- Extensive data collection and subsequent classification of the residential building stock in three pilot cities (baseline study).
- Renovation concepts for residential buildings drawn up in close cooperation with the three participating cities.
- Extensive calculation programme developed for expected energy savings and corresponding CO2 reductions through renovations in the northern climate zone of China.
- Calculation programme – in case the housing sector is included in the future national ETS in line with the developed methodology – enables the estimation of possible revenue through the sale of certificates earned from energy-efficient renovations.