Climate friendly economy: Introduction of best available techniques (BAT)
As of: June 2019
Objective and activities
The aim of the project is to introduce and spread efficient climate friendly technologies in selected sectors of industry and selected regions of Russia. The significant reduction of GHG should be reached by increasing the energy efficiency and by using 'best available techniques' (BAT). The regulations for these techniques in Russia are recently embodied in law. The project focuses on counselling of legal and institutional framework, training, knowledge transfer and the planning and support of pilot projects.
State of implementation/results
- Study tour to Germany with focus on licensing procedures for environmental technologies in June 2016
- Within the technology platform the project published in January 2017 together with the German-Russian Chamber of Commerce and the German Embassy in Moscow the publication "Environment in the focus of the German Economy". In the publication more than 40 German companies present their best practice environmental protection technologies and their application in Russia. The project presented the brochure together with the German-Russian Chamber of Commerce on February 14, 2017 in the residence of the German ambassador. In the fireside chat took part among others the personal advisor of the Russian president on climate and environment, the minister of environment of Kaluga region as well as directors of German and Russian companies in Russia. The brochure is available in Russian on the project website: www.good-climate.com/… .
- On September 14, 2017 the first sector-related webinar was held within the technology platform in order to exchange between representatives of German and Russian industry associations, industry and authorities on best practice environmental protection technologies and institutions. The webinar focused on emissions control in the cement industry. In parallel the project organized an exhibition with diverse German and Russian manufacturers of emission measuring instruments. In the webinar 60 people participated on-site and 100 online.
- In October and December 2017 two trainings on the basic principles of industrial environmental protection based on best available techniques (BAT), respective legal innovations, Russian best available techniques reference documents (BREF) and international experience on the transition to BAT were held. In the six trainings more than 203 people coming from 61 Russian regions participated. Among them were 109 representatives of Russian approval and oversight authorities, 73 representatives of industry and 21 representatives of education institutions. On November 30, 2017, the training component of the project was awarded the international environmental award "Ecoworld" of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAEN) in the field of "Ecological Education, Enlightenment and Culture".
- During the international conference „Best available techniques“ of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection (MoNRE) on November 22, 2017 in Moscow the deputy director of the department of state policy and regulation in the field of environmental protection thanked the project explicitly for its quick, reliable and competent support of her department. Inter alia the project developed two proposals for legal acts, analyses and recommendations on continuous emissions control, threshold levels for industrial installations as well as BAT associated emission levels (BAT-AEL ).
- In December 2017 the state authority ROSSTANDARD accepted the remaining Russian reference documents on BAT. German and Russian experts of the project commented on 7 of the 51 BREFs.
- On the project website registered users find manifold analytical material such as answers of German experts on questions of in-house emissions control, legal analyses on BAT basics and a media digest: www.good-climate.com/… .