Climate Protection Programme in Support of the South African Department of Environmental Affairs – DEA II
As of: August 2018
Objective and activities
The project supported South Africa’s Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA) in implementing the ‘National Climate Change Response White Paper’, which was adopted in 2011. A particular focus at this point was on mainstreaming climate policy regulations into other thematic areas and programmes, developing implementation plans for greenhouse gas reduction and adaptation within key sectors such as agriculture and energy, and building up the national system for monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV). In addition, knowledge management and public relations work were promoted. Special emphasis was placed on pilot activities within a national approach to implementing appropriate mitigation actions (NAMA). Furthermore, South Africa was positioned as a climate policy pioneer both on the African continent and within international climate policy in order to advance the larger climate process.
- Climate Support Programme (CSP) - Phase III
State of implementation/results
- Project completed
- Support of the "mitigation system", among others by elaboration of reduction targets for key sectors (Desired Outcomes Emission Reduction (DEROS) and carbon budgets for large enterprises, incl. the accompanying measures (Mix of Measures))
- Preparation of a pilot measure (flagship) in the waste sector in six South African communities
- „Let´s Respond Toolkit“ to integrate climate aspects into municipal development planning applied in five pilot municipalities and distributed nationwide
- Contribution to the elaboration of the 2nd edition of the "Long Term Adaptation Scenarios" (LTAS 2) which contains short and long term adaptation scenarios based on climate risk and development.