Climate-SDGs Integration Project: Supporting the implementation of the Paris Agreement and the 2030 Agenda through ecosystem-based adaptation
As of: December 2019
Objective and activities
The project will support the implementation of ecosystem based adaptation (EbA) in Guatemala and India as a contribution to the synergetic achievement of NDCs and SDGs. A core deliverable of the project is a roadmap in each partner country that includes prioritized actions for the better implementation of EbA and the conditions for their successful implementation. The project will develop a better understanding of criteria and preconditions for EbA measures to contribute to both NDCs and SDGs through inclusive, participatory multi-stakeholder dialogues at local and national level. To contribute to communities’ resilience, food security and poverty reduction and to ensure the social dimension of sustainability, the project will take due account of the principles laid out in the “Voluntary Guidelines on the Responsible Governance of Tenure of Land - VGGTs”.
State of implementation/results
- Development of a Conceptual Framework as a basis for further project work, which will be published in 2019 under the title "Making the Most of SDGs and NDCs for UpScaling Ecosystem-based Adaptation: Reflections by Knowledge-based Organizations".
- Political analysis documents are under development (Windows of Opportunity papers).
- In Guatemala, the project contributed under the auspices of the Ministry of Environment (MARN) and in cooperation with the NDC Partnership, World Bank and GIZ, to include Ecosystem-based Adaptation as a proposal for incorporation into the NDC Implementation Strategic Plan (roadmap for NDC implementation).
- The project develops Field Work Guidance Notes with criteria for EbA identification.
- The project publishes a brochure entitled: "ECOSYSTEM_BASED ADAPTATION - Nature-based Solutions to Climate Change" (see Links)
- Publication of an article in the IKI-India Newsletter "Climate-SDGs Integration Project: Supporting the implementation of Paris Agreement and Sustainable Development goals through Ecosystem based Adaptation" (see Links).