Creation of a comprehensive framework for NAMAs and MRV in Viet Nam
As of: November 2018
Objective and activities
The project supported Vietnam in enhancing the institutional and personnel capacities needed to successfully develop and implement nationally appropriate mitigation actions (NAMAs). This included the set up of coordinational structures for NAMAs within the Vietnamese Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE), the development of central elements for a measurement, reporting and verification (MRV) system and the development of two NAMAs. NAMAs are also supposed to generate important co-benefits such as improved urban infrastructure, increased competitiveness and environmental protection. Moreover, the project advised MONRE on the implementation of the Paris Agreement and the review process of the Vietnamese NDC. In addition, the project supported the BMU with knowledge management and networking in Vietnam. The experience gained will be shared internationally through regional and global dialogue forums and peer-to-peer learning platforms.
State of implementation/results
- The project advised the partners in elaborating the Vietnamese INDC and has been supporting the implementation planning since the beginning of 2016. In October 2016, Vietnam adopted a strategic plan for the implementation of the Paris Agreement as one of the first countries in the region – The project makes a significant contribution to monitoring and reviewing the Vietnamese NDC. This makes Vietnam one of the first countries to review and update its NDC. After a kick-off workshop in June 2017, the first preliminary results were discussed at a consultation workshop in April 2018.
- A workshop-series, organized in cooperation with UNDP, informed representatives from the provincial level on the Paris Agreement and the associated national and international processes.
- Workshops were carried out to strengthen the Vietnamese negotiating capacities in the context of the UNFCCC negotiations.
- Moreover, Vietnam was advised with regard to the conceptual and organizational design of Side Events and the Pavilion.
- Recommendations for the development of a national MRV system drawn up as part of the project are now available and will be discussed with the partners. In addition, members of various sectoral ministries and further relevant institutions participated in trainings with focus on the MRV of NAMAs.
- Vietnam submitted a proposal on public transport with a focus on creating the required framework conditions and introducing climate-friendly bus drive technologies (“low carbon bus NAMA”) for the 5th call for applications of the NAMA Facility.
- Vietnam is an active member of the NDC partnership control group. On 13 April 2018, the inception workshop for developing the NDC-P plan took place. The IKI project contributed significantly to the workshop and engaged actively in the development process of the NDC partnership plan.