As of: January 2018
Creation of a comprehensive framework for NAMAs and MRV in Viet Nam
Objective and activities
The project supports the Vietnamese Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE) in enhancing its institutional and personnel capacities that are needed to successfully develop and implement nationally appropriate mitigation actions (NAMAs) that satisfy the international standards for measurement, reporting and verification (MRV). To this end, within MONRE, a new national coordinating and advisory unit for NAMAs will support the specialized ministries in planning and implementation of selected NAMAs, while also advancing the development of a national MRV system. The project partners are developing an online platform that collects widely available emissions data and information. Moreover, two NAMAs, eligible for financing, will be elaborated as part of the project activities. The experience gained will be disseminated internationally through regional and global dialogue forums and peer-to-peer learning platforms.
State of implementation/results
- The project assisted the partners in elaborating the Vietnamese INDC and is also supporting the implementation planning since the beginning of 2016. As one of the first countries in the region Vietnam has adopted a strategic plan for the implementation of the Paris Agreement in October 2016.
- A kick-off workshop, supported through this project, started Vietnam's NDC review process in 2017.
- A workshop-series, organised in cooperation with UNDP, informed representatives from the provincial level on the Paris Agreement and the Vietnamese NDC and the steps ahead resulting from the challenges of PA and NDC implementation.
- Workshops were carried out to strengthen the Vietnamese negotiating capacities in the context of the UNFCCC negotiations.
- Moreover, Vietnam was advised with regard to the conceptual and organizational design of Side Events and the Pavilion.
- Recommendations for the development of a national MRV system drawn up as part of the project are now available and will be discussed with the partners. In addition, members of various sectoral ministries and further relevant institutions participated in trainings with focus on the MRV of NAMAs.
- Based on a national prioritization process and on consultations with national stakeholders, the Low Carbon Bus NAMA has been developed. The design has been presented in Vietnam as well as on the international level. It is now available as NAMA concept which is eligible for finance.
- An options paper for the institutionalization of a NAMA Service Unit at MONRE is now available to be decided on by the Vietnamese partners.