Development of sustainable forestry models & links to private finance for secondary forest
As of: January 2020
Objective and activities
The project aims at the sustainable management of secondary forests (SF) in Central America. This will lead to longterm sustainable land use by reducing deforestation, preserving ecosystems and their ecosystem services (ES), and socio-economic development. The beneficiaries are secondary forest owners which will manage their lands in a sustainable way; communities in surrounding areas that would have new jobs and income prospects, and the society as it will benefit from the decrease of deforestation rates and generation of income. To achieve this, the project will: (1) identify areas with a high potential for sustainable management in SF; (2) identify, analyse and advice local governance structures and landowners to undertake sustainable forest management; (3) implement new forest management concepts and silvicultural practices in the SF; (4) link local Management structures to public and private financing; and (5) document best management practices and policy recommendations.
State of implementation/results
- Trainings for sustainable forestry
- Online platform for sustainable wood products
- Stakeholder meeting with different actors from national forest institutions in El Salvador (April 2019)
- Workshop with 20 forestry experts from Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica on the sustainable management of degraded secondary forests (July 2018) - launch of an E-commerce online platform for timber products in Guatemala (forestmarketgt.com)
- Co-organization of the 3rd roundtable promoting the sustainable timber industry in Central America (September 2018)
- Manufacturing and piloting of an innovative instrument for the mensuration of trees in secundary forests (September 2018)
- Implementation of a demonstration area for the sustainable and productive use of secondary forests in Costa Rica
- Release of a manual on the sustainable management of secondary forests in Central America (repositorio.bibliotecaorton.catie.ac.cr/…)
- Release of a working paper on growth rates of tree species in secondary forests in Central America (www.researchgate.net/…)
- First course on Secondary Forest business models and management from July 24th to 28th with the participation of 20 forest practitioners from partner countries
- Discussion process with the department of financial mechanisms and industry of INAB to build up an agenda to link the financial sector (national banks and other stakeholders) with the forestry sector to create new financial instruments for the sector.
- Negotiations with Costa Rican forest authorities to support needs on training in secondary forest.
- Agreements in process to create demonstration areas for secondary forest management in Guatemala with “Defensores de la Naturaleza” a local NGO, in Honduras with the “Agriculture Pan-American School” and in Costa Rica with “Estación Experimental Horizontes” a National Forest service experimental site.