Ecosystem-based Adaptation to Climate Change in cooperation with the private sector in Mexico
As of: October 2018
Objective and activities
Mexico has great potential to build climate change resilience by conserving its natural capital. To reduce social vulnerability to climate change, the project fosters the integration of biodiversity into economic development, decision-making processes and sectoral investments.Thus, it contributes to the linkage and fulfillment of the INDC and the Aichi-Targets of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD). The project will work in three regions with high tourism potential, biodiversity and vulnerability to CC. It will build capacity of key actors for EbA, analyze climate change impacts and their linkage with ecosystem services, strengthen inter-sectoral cooperation to integrate ecosystem based adaptation (EbA) into sectoral investment plans and programs, identify financing mechanisms, and implement pilot EbA measures with the tourism sector in different ecosystems, taking into account traditional knowledge and protected Areas.
State of implementation/results
- Project in implementation
- The project will improve and adapt the tool „Climate Proofing for Development“ to the needs of the tourism sector. Furthermore, it will identify innovative financing instruments for EbA and adapt existing financing mechanisms to increase public-private sector investments.
- A virtual collaboration and education platform with a focus on EbA and the private sector will be developed, based also on the experiences from the BMU project “Mainstreaming EbA” and the BMZ project “Adaptation of the private sector to climate change”.
- The project conducted three kick-off workshops in the each of the project regions (in February and March 2018) with participants of the public sector, civil society and the private sector
- XI Latin American Conference on Corporate Social Responsibility (May 16, 2018 in Mexico City): Participation of ADAPTUR at the Panel “Strategic Alliances to Reach the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)”
- 3rd International EbA School of Practice (July 11-14, 2018 in Kapstadt): Workshop of ADAPTUR on „Communication with the Private Sector“
- Second Forum on Proven Environmental Measures related to the Tourism Sector (August 30, 2018 in Puerto Vallarta): Presentation of the Project ADAPTUR. In cooperation with the German-Mexican climate alliance it is planned to support the State Jalisco with the development of a climate law
- Climate change conference in the state of Guanajuato (Nov. 2018, San Miguel de Allende): ADAPTUR presents the climate risks related to the tourism sector
- With the help of ADAPTUR the Mexican Ministry of Tourism (SECTUR) has published a new strategy for the integration of the protection and sustainable use of biodiversity in the tourism sector. The new strategy contains now also topics related to the adaptation to climate change.