Energy efficiency in public buildings in Turkey
As of: January 2020
Objective and activities
The project aims to strengthen the legal, technical and administrative requirements to increase energy efficiency in public buildings supporting sustainable, economic and technological development in Turkey. Technology-related incentives are being introduced, and information and awareness-raising campaigns are being carried out to stimulate demand for energy services and efficient technologies. The project is carried out by the Deutschen Gesellschaft für internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) under the framework of the German Climate Technology Initiative (DKTI).
State of implementation/results
- 11/2019: Several studies prepared on energy efficiency (RE) in Turkey, i.a. study on the transferability of elements from international definitions of Low Energy Buildings (nZEB) to Turkey and study on “Enhancing Turkey’s policy framework for energy efficiency of buildings, and recommendations for the way forward based on international experiences”.
- Training of more than 200 participants from different professions on the revised Turkish Building Energy Certificate (BEP Tr-2). In total there are now 5,400 energy certification experts in Turkey. Over 780,000 energy certificates have been issued in recent years.
- Development of Curricula for trainer/trainees on the new Software of the revised Turkish Energy Performance Certificate BEP-TR
- Strengthening Turkish start-up companies through b2b approaches at the Berlin Energy Transition Dialogue 2018 (DENA SET-awards)
- Launch of the first „EE-Hackathon“ in Turkey on the development of EE digital solutions in the building sector (hackathon.ee-turkey.org)
- 1st Summer School 2018 on EE in buildings with students of architecture faculties of METU Ankara and Beuth Hochschule Berlin prepared and carried out. 2nd Summer School in 2019 organized by universities themselves (DAAD Funding).
- Long-term bilateral academic cooperation and joint Master program on RES in buildings and development of a certification programme on this way.
- Technical specifications for a pilot photovoltaic rooftop PV system (125kWp) for the main building of the MoEU;
- Preparation of a mobile EE building model in MoEU (Scale 1/100) for training purposes;
- EE Pilot Retrofit Planning of a school in Kırıkkale (energetic retrofit with a mechanical ventilation and structural strentghening for earthquake safety as well as Rootop PV 50 kWp). Construction start 3. Quarter 2019.
- Technical specification for an energy data monitoring system (DMS) with target and reference values for school buildings in Turkey (in coordination with Environment (MoEU) and Ministry of Education (MoNE)).
- In parallel to the school renovation planned for 2019, an EE retrofit guideline will be prepared for the retrofit of up to 60,000 school buildings in Turkey.
- Website: Energy Efficiency in Public Buildings in Turkey (EN / TR): ee-turkey.org
- Website: EE Hackathon: hackathon.ee-turkey.org