Enhancing low-carbon development by greening the economy: policy dialogue, advisory services, benchmarking
As of: October 2018
Objective and activities
The project provided content-related support in the preparatory and follow-up processes surrounding the UN conference ‘Rio+20’ and developed a concrete roadmap towards a green economy that will lead to reductions in greenhouse gases and more efficient use of resources. It developed macroeconomic guidelines in the form of tax reforms and trade regulations, as well as progress indicators relating to investments and employment, for example, which help to measure progress towards poverty reduction and the development of a green economy. In addition, the project advised partner governments in six developing and emerging countries in different regions on low-carbon development. This involved both the formulation of operative strategies and their practical implementation.
- Green Economy Transformation in Cooperation with the Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE) – Synergies between Low-carbon Pathways and Sustainable Development Goals (SDG)
State of implementation/results
- Project completed
- Support of the BMUB in preparing for the UN Conference on Sustainable Development (UNCSD, Rio + 20) in Rio de Janeiro in 2012, inter alia through expert commentary and information on the topics of the conference, such as green jobs and megacities
- Deepening the topics fiscal policy and subsidy reform in the context of two international events (GIZ IMF UNEP workshop on, "Fiscal Policy in an Inclusive Green Economy", Geneva, October 2012, and GIZ-IMF-GSI-UNEP Workshop on "reforming fossil fuel subsidies for an Inclusive Green Economy", Nairobi, May 2014)
- Report on "Trade Opportunities in a Green Economy" and a manual on "Trade and Green Economy" prepared
- Report on methods to measure progress towards a Green Economy Transition ("Measuring Progress Towards an Inclusive Green Economy") published. The developed approach has been applied on a pilot basis in Uruguay and Ghana.