Establishment of a national competence centre on climate change
As of: December 2019
Objective and activities
The project supports Morocco’s climate competence center. The center both strengthens capacities for implementing the national climate strategy and facilitates active participation in the international dialogue on adapting to climate change and reducing greenhouse gas emissions. A training and information programme prepares Moroccan experts to act as multipliers and raise awareness on climate policy and opportunities for adaptation and mitigation measures across the country. Staff from ministries and regional and local authorities will also receive training in these areas. A further aim is to develop instruments for a sustainable knowledge management for both mitigation and adaptation measures. This includes a reliable climate database for measuring, reporting and verification (MRV) systems. Special emphasis of the center is the south-south cooperation, which should share lessons learned of the climate competence center with neighboring countries in the long-term.
State of implementation/results
- The 4C has its own Website: www.4c.ma - While supporting the preparation and realization of COP (Conference of Parties) 22 in Marrakesh, the competence center gained attention, both nationally and internationally, and increased its visibility and raised further awareness
- An agreement between 4C Maroc and Brazzaville Foundation for Peace supports the south-south cooperation on „Fonds Bleu du Bassin du Congo“. The aim is to conduct a preliminary study related to the structure of this fund
- A video on Marocco’s climate engagement has been realized in French and in English and was launched at COP 23
- In May 2018 a cooperation agreement was signed in Bonn for the “International Network of Climate Change Centres of Excellence and Think Tanks for Capacity Building – INCCCETT 4CB”. INCCCETT 4CB includes 13 Institutions worldwide and is mainly interested in capacity development for adaptation measures within the NDCs. “4C Maroc” represents the Secretary General of the network
- The environmental committee of the German Bundestag was received on October 23, 2018 by the Director of the 4C Maroc to an exchange
- The 3. International Conference “Adaptation Metrics and Techniques for Agriculture, Water and Resilient Cities“ took place on October 26, 2018 in Marrakech. This IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) Outreach Event was organized by the 4C project jointly with the University of Benguerir (adaptation.um6p.ma)
- A national (SNI-GES) greenhouse gas inventory system was developed with support of the project. By a decree of the Moroccan Government it was officially adopted on November 16, 2018. A manual developed by the project is available
- On November 23 and November 24, 2018 a workshop with 5 African Countries was carried out in Casablanca as an exchange of experiences on how to integrate climate adaptation needs into development plans. The project accompanied the development of the Moroccan NDC as well as the roadmap for its implementation
- The project supported the talk and the presentation of the director of 4C on several side events at COP 24 in Katowice/Poland
- A institutional film on the climate competence center “4C Maroc” was completed in the beginning of 2019.