From NDCs to Pathways and Policies: Transformative Climate Action After Paris
As of: January 2020
Objective and activities
The project supports the implementation of the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in major emerging countries and internationally. It will conduct detailed analyses of the implications of the <2/1.5°C for national development pathways, help develop priority policy packages, and support the in-country development of Long Term Low GHG Emission Development Strategies that are coherent, transparent, credible and in line with domestic development goals. The project will support: i) the preparation of the next round of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) by informing the national potentials and conditions for increased ambition and the progress in transforming sectors, financial flows, and technologies; ii) the national stakeholder engagement in implementing countries to ensure the buy-in to the results; and iii) the international dialogue in the run-up to 2020 regarding the potential to develop further policies and proposals to raise ambition.
State of implementation/results
- June 2019: Participation to the United Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) Subsidiary Body for Scientific and Technological Advice (SBSTA) Eleventh meeting of the Research Dialogue: Science for Transformation to share lessons learned from in-country long-term pathways development, including a presentation by Marta Torres Gunfaus (IDDRI) as Panelist and a Project’s poster exhibition: unfccc.int/… (More information: unfccc.int/…).
- June 2019: Participation to the 2050 Pathways Platform Annual Meeting (Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, University of Cape Town, IDDRI, and political counter partners: Ministry of Environment and Forestry (KLKK) of Indonesia and the Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries (DEFF) of South Africa). We led the session on “The role of quantification in LTS and insights to be drawn from them”.
- December 2018: Launch of website for the visualisation of scenario results across countries: ddpinitiative.org
- April 2019: Participation in the policy dialogue of the Fórum Clima 2019 promoted by the Brazilian Forum on Climate Change (FBMC) on the Brazilian position on climate strategy, particularly on the role of the sub-national level in the policy landscape.
- November 2019: Indian Stakeholder Engagement Workshop Event I: Designing Deep Decarbonization Pathways for Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) and Long-Term Strategies (LTS) in New Delhi to present preliminary results in transport and Agriculture, Forestry & Other Land Use (AFOLU) sectors.
- July 2019: Participation to the Asia Low Emission Development Strategies Global Partnership (LEDS GP) (www.asialeds.org) webinar to present the project’s work on deep decarbonisation pathways development in India to facilitate peer-to-peer exchanges and capacity building.
- August 2019: Participation to the IKI Networking Workshop in Indonesia, jointly hosted by the Ministry of National Development Planning (BAPPENAS) and BMU in Jakarta.
- April-September 2019: Participation in the sector-level stakeholder consultations convened by the Ministry of Environment and Forestry (KLHK) in the context of the project’s ‘Roadmap for the Implementation of the NDC’, which provides key inputs for the development of long-term sector- and economy-wide level pathways.
- March 2019: Participation to the policy dialogue on South Africa Low Emission Development Strategy (LEDS) co-hosted by DEFF and the 2050 Pathways Platform.