Green Climate Fund - Civil Society Readiness: Focus Africa
As of: August 2019
Objective and activities
The Green Climate Fund (GCF) has the ambition to become the most important multilateral instrument in climate finance. The project aims to scale-up existing civil society capacities in Africa to advocate for ambitious proposals, bring on-the-ground expertise to the table, help embed GCF-funded activities in broader societal support and increase accountability of national authorities. The project aims to support broader African civil society engagement in the critical early implementation phase of GCF-projects through three work packages: 1. Preparation/testing of readiness materials facilitating civil society engagement; 2. Supporting civil society engagement in key African countries; 3. Sharing of experiences at regional and global scale, supporting expanded civil society engagement in Africa and beyond.
State of implementation/results
- New fact sheet, prepared with a focus on the engagement of civil society organizations with the GCF (www.germanwatch.org/en/16305w), presented and well received at the 22nd GCF Board Meeting.
- The GCFWatch portal has been improved and updated after its operationalization: www.gcfwatch.org.
- Articles on "Preparing the actors of African civil society for participation in the Green Climate Fund (GCF)" (www.germanclimatefinance.de/2019/02/28/preparing-african-civil-society-actors-engage-green- climate-fund-gcf /) and "The Green Climate Fund and Civil Society Engagement and Participation, a Case of Uganda" (www.gcfwatch.org/… and-civil-society-engagement-and-participation-a-case-of-uganda /) were created.
- Several project partners actively participated in the UNFCCC COP 24 in December 2018.
- Attendance of representatives of the African civil society at the 21st and 22nd meetings of the GCF Board.
- Participation of project partners at the "Structured Dialogue with Africa" of the GCF (3 to 6 April 2018) on increased participation of African countries in the GCF.
- One-day workshop previously to the Africa Climate Week in Accra, Ghana on "Green Climate Fund & NDC Implementation in Africa" to enhance the understanding of civil society's role in the GCF.