Green growth in the Heart of Borneo: Integrating conservation, economic development and well-being of communities across a transboundary landscape
As of: April 2018
Objective and activities
In the context of the tri-national Heart of Borneo (HoB) Initiative the project will develop and implement a green economy model for the Kapuas Hulu district in Indonesia and Sarawak in Malaysia. Demonstrating the business case for a green economy model in the transboundary region has great potential for replication in other districts. New networks of stakeholder on policy, community and business level will be established leading to new synergies and cooperation which will increase the economic dynamics in the area without disturbing nature conservation goals. The long term establishment of a drinking water protection area can be seen as pilot model for other regions globally. The project contributes to the HoB Action Plan as endorsed by the Governments of Malaysia and Indonesia: Transboundary management, sustainable resource management, eco-tourism and capacity-building. All results and innovative approaches will be reflected in the HoB Initiative and multiplied on a broad level.
State of implementation/results
- The government of Sarawak has established the first Special Conservation Area (SCA) in Sarawak. The SCA is intended to protect a 14.000 ha biotope at the Ulu Mengyang River. The management of the SCA is assured by the forest administration and local communities. WWF Malaysia is asked to support the SCA via co-management.
- About 100 participants attended the launch of the project in April.
- Memoranda of understanding have successfully been signed by important stakeholders in both project countries.
- Work on the analysis of ecosystems with high conservation value has started.
- Work on a corporate network was initiated with the launch of the project.
- First observations and studies have been conducted to obtain a strategic overview over the current social, economic and ecological situation on site.
- IKI-project-socialisation workshop was conducted.