Grenada - Pilot Programme for an Integrative Adaptation Strategy
As of: September 2018
Objective and activities
The project supports the island state of Grenada in increasing the resilience of sectors of the population and ecosystems that are particularly vulnerable to the effects of climate change. To do this, it takes an integrative approach across different sectors and different levels: at national level, the project strengthens the government’s capacity to coordinate different stakeholders in the field of adaptation. At individual sector level, it supports Grenada in using its water resources efficiently and in developing coastal zone management plans that take current and future climatic changes into account. At local level, the project partners support specific adaptation measures that increase the resilience of poor sectors of the population, while at the same time improving their living conditions. This comprehensive approach can serve as an example for other countries in the region and facilitate access to additional resources for adaptation to climate change.
- Grenada - Pilot Programme for an Integrative Adaptation Strategy
State of implementation/results
- Setup and operationalizing of the Community Climate Change Adaptation Fund with a budget of 1.3 Million USD
- 27 community have been approved by the National Climate Change Committee out of which 10 are completed
- Community groups received training in project proposal development, project management and monitoring & evaluation
- Establishment of the ICCAS Community Liaison Network, which provides technical and administrative support to community groups with regard to the implementation of their projects
- One community project developed a short story for school children on climate change
- 3 climate change walks with approx. 1300 participants on all three islands of the Caribbean state
- A climate change football cup for primary schools was organized. As part of the football tournament, school classes implemented smaller environmental projects
- Various PR activities on the topic of climate change adaptation, such as six billboards erected, one TV spot and one radio spot aired, artwork placed on public busses etc.
- A photo essay capturing the community project experience: undp-adaptation.exposure.co/… and various YouTube videos on different community projects
- A Faceboot page has been set-up with more than 1000 followers providing regular updates and news