Implementation of the National Bio-Corridor Programme (PNCB) in the context of the National Biodiversity strategy of Costa Rica
As of: August 2019
Objective and activities
The aim of the project is to develop its partners’ capacity to maintain the biological diversity and ecosystem services in Costa Rica’s biocorridors. To this end, it is supporting the National System of Conservation Areas, local governments and local people so as to enable them to cooperatively develop and implement strategy plans for the establishment and management of networks of interlinked biotopes. Support will be provided to strengthen the roles and functions of local dialogue platforms and corridor committees for the coordination of protection measures and sustainable use. A small project fund will also promote measures relating to corridor management and processes for converting agricultural production systems. In order to guarantee sustainable financing and implementation of the strategic plans, the project is establishing local incentive systems and financing mechanisms (payments for ecosystem services, compensatory payments).
State of implementation/results
- The monitoringsystem to measure the effectiveness of the management has been implemented in all 45 biocorridors (area of 15.000 km2).
- The 15 biocorridors (5000 km2), in which the project does direct consultation are all equipped with a management plan by now. Management activities were increased from 38% to 46%.
- As of now 476 experts/participants have been trained on several relevant topics in 12 training courses.
- A financing fund (US$ 500,000,00) for the support of "green production systems and value added chains of small businesse in biocorridors" was implemented.
- In September 2018 an additional financing platform was implemented by PROCOMER (4 Mio. US$) for the support of "green export" of big and medium businesses.
- The project contributed to the first marine protected area of the category „Area Marina de Manejo“ in Cabo Blanco (870 km2). It was recognized by a presitential decree the 08.06.2018.