India Sustainable Mobility Initiative
As of: November 2019
Objective and activities
The Government of India plans a major investment in urban transport. As then-Chief Minister of Gujarat, the present Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi, oversaw the creation of Ahmedabad Janmarg, India’s first high-quality bus rapid transit (BRT) system, together with zoning and parking reforms, the best in the country. ITDP led the technical support for both efforts. With the likely ramp-up of national government funding in urban infrastructure, a rare opportunity exists to leverage cost-effective mass transit infrastructure on a large scale. Much decision making will rest with state governments. ITDP’s India Sustainable Mobility Initiative will focus on the development of effective state-level urban transport policies and capacity building in the states of Gujarat, Maharashtra, and Tamil Nadu. The aim is that by the end of the grant, state policies will promote high quality BRT together with zoning and parking reform, to dramatically cut greenhouse gas emissions.
State of implementation/results
- In Coimbatore, the design for two model roads was completed and construction initiated on a pilot stretch while intersection testing was done.
- ITDP gave technical inputs on a Street Design and Management Policy for the city of Coimbatore.
- Further work on BRT guidelines, Street design, Parking Management and Transport Demand Management for Delhi, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Gujarat.
- Training on Complete Streets and Parking management for the cities from the Smart Cities Mission.
- Pune Municipal Corporation has approved a progressive public parking policy, supported by ITDP.