Low Emission Capacity Building (LECB) Programme
As of: August 2018
Objective and activities
The aim of the Programme was to build and strengthen capacities in participating countries in order to facilitate the implementation of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs). This aim was achieved by building on previous work carried out through the UNDP Low Emission Capacity Building (LECB) Programme, including: development and strengthening of LEDS and NAMAs in the context of national priorities, development and strengthening of greenhouse gas inventory systems and corresponding MRV systems (rendering emissions reductions measurable, reportable and verifiable), and development and implementation of sectoral mitigation activities in select private and public spheres. To this end, customised advisory services were agreed upon and complemented with global and regional networking and advisory options, technical workshops and training programmes. Shared challenges were discussed annually at global conferences and integrated into specialist publications.
- NDC Support Programme
State of implementation/results
- Project completed.
- 16 out of 25 project countries have completed their individual work programmes on: Greenhouse gas (GHG) inventories, Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMAs), Low Emission Development Strategies (LEDS), Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV) systems, and private sector engagement (Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ecuador, Ghana, Indonesia, Kenya, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Morocco, Peru, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda).
- May 2017: Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) Conference co-hosted with GIZ, the LEDS Global Partnership, and in collaboration with the NDC Partnership: More than 250 participants from 80 countries and several international organisations shared their perspectives and experiences in the areas of integrated governance, financing, and transparency for delivering climate goals.
- June 2016: Global Workshop on NDCs: focusing on the creation of suitable framework conditions for NDC implementation and the exchange of partner countries on related challenges.
- April 2015: Global Workshop on Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDCs) with GIZ to address central issues in INDC preparation and provide a forum for peer-to-peer country exchange.
- Since 2014 supported 38 partner countries in INDC development, various dialogue formats on INDC development and NDC implementation.
- Global LECB workshops: 2011 (Berlin, Germany), 2012 (Marrakech, Morocco), 2013 (Hanoi, Viet Nam), 2014 (Brussels, Belgium), and 2015 (San José, Costa Rica) fostering peer-to-peer exchange on transnational issues and strategies and strengthening technical expertise on implementation options
- Publication of analyses and guidelines on central climate-related issues, e.g. 'NAMA Guidebook' (with UNEP and UNFCCC), 'Information Brief and GHG Inventory Toolkit' and the 'Global Good Practice Analysis on LEDS, NAMA and MRV' (with the International Partnership on Mitigation and MRV) and webinar series held.
- NAMA Net, launched in 02/2014, offering tailor-made NAMA advice to partner countries.
- five countries participate in a work stream to test a methodology on tracking private sector climate finance.
- three regional workshops to strengthen private sector action on climate change mitigation.
- The Global Support Unit is running the project's website with online services, inclusing web-based training courses for the LECB community.
- Numerous NAMAs in partner countries finalized with LECB support and under implementation or seeking financing/implementation (e.g. in Bhutan, Uganda and Viet Nam).
- Several LEDS finalized with LECB support (e.g. Chile, Colombia, and Tanzania).
- GHG Inventories and MRV Systems finalized with LECB support (e.g. Argentina, Colombia, and Philippines).
- Important implementation steps regarding NDC planning/implementation (e.g. Ecuador, Philippines, and Zambia).