Measurement and Performance Tracking (MAPT) of Climate Change Mitigation Activities
As of: May 2018
Objective and activities
The project worked with five partner countries, assessing existing monitoring systems, greenhouse gas (GHG) inventories and institutional capacities in the area of the measurement, reporting and verification (MRV) of GHG emissions. These were examined in the context of each country's specific needs and further developed. The project supported the development of MRV systems at the national, sub-national, sectoral and international level through workshops, training events, and case studies. The project incorporated decision-makers, private sector, and civil society in all phases. With the support of all relevant stakeholders, this top-down/bottom-up approach helped to establish guidelines and standards at the national level and also prepares the ground for uniform international MRV standards. The experience gained was analysed and made available internationally to replicate successes and influence the development of international MRV regulations.
- Tracking and Strengthening Climate Action (TASCA)
State of implementation/results
- Project completed.
- Mitigation accounting: Pilot-tested greenhouse gas (GHG) protocol standards published, translated into French and Spanish, enabling countries and sub-national bodies to measure the emission reductions achieved through policies, measures (e.g. Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMAs)), and emission reduction goals; e-learning courses in English and Spanish publicly available; training on the standards provided to project countries; working paper on ‘Developing indicators to monitor mitigation policies’ published. Support for Colombia’s national Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV) guidance and South Africa’s guidelines for measurement of GHG effects of policies; piloting in multiple sectors in both countries ongoing and related convening of meetings held. Assessment of data needs in Colombia on the agriculture sector complete.
- National GHG inventories: Case studies on national GHG inventories by experts from Brazil, Colombia, India, Mexico, and South Africa published; technical training conducted for GHG inventory experts in Ethiopia in cooperation with the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).
- Policy implementation and civil society: Application of a tool to track the implementation of climate and energy policies, pilot-tested by civil society actors in India and South Africa.
- Forestry/land use: Workshop in Ethiopia examined institutional arrangements and data management systems for monitoring land use-related emissions and capacities; June 2015: workshop on land sector accounting and Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDCs) with negotiators.
- Industry: Training events conducted on company inventories in Colombia, Ethiopia, India, Thailand, and South Africa; ongoing development of voluntary reporting programmes for the private sector in Colombia, India and South Africa; “Guide for Designing Mandatory Greenhouse Gas Reporting Programs” published with the World Bank as guidance for policymakers and collaboration on e-learning modules; the India GHG Program held several capacity building workshops and webinars and a high-level CEO roundtable on GHG measurement and management. Peer-to-peer workshop held 12/2015 with various GHG reporting programs.
- Institutions: Studies conducted in South Africa and Ethiopia on strengthening institutional capacity in the area of national monitoring and evaluation systems.
- International aspects: Multiple workshops and side events on “MRV of support” and “MRV of actions”, instruments and approaches of the project on inventory and accounting conducted on the sidelines of the UNFCCC negotiations; partner workshops carried out during negotiations to promote the exchange of ideas and experience and stimulate the international learning process. Paper published, ”How to Strengthen the Institutional Architecture for Capacity Building to Support the Post-2020 Climate Regime“. Paper published: “MRV 101: Understanding Measurement, Reporting and Verification of Climate Change Mitigation.”