Mobilizing capital for ecosystem-based adaptation - the value of resilient forests for water management in the tropics.
As of: August 2019
Objective and activities
Forests play a crucial, mostly unvalued, role in stabilizing hydrological cycles and water regimes, particularly in tropical regions that are prone to climate-related extreme events. Yet, those forests are threatened by adverse effects of climate change and additionally their resilience is weakened through habitat loss and degradation.Applying a cross-sectoral multi-stakeholder approach, the project will foster ecosystem-based adaptation (EbA) in four water catchment areas in Mesoamerica and the Caribbean, focusing on forests in protected areas and adjacent agroecosystems. Innovative financial mechanisms for the conservation of catchment areas will be developed and will serve as models for national and international policies and regulations. Through the steady exchange of experiences and lessons learned, national and international attention will be drawn to the importance of resilient forests for water management, and to options for financial support of EbA-measures.
- Development of business models for cooperation with the private sector as a tool for socially acceptable restoration of near-natural forests
State of implementation/results
- Second international workshop with all project partners (Mexico, Guatemala, Dominican Re-public, Cuba, Germany) held in April 2018 in Guatemala.
- Guatemala: In July 2018, two coope-ration agreements were signed between the project in Guatemala and the Municipality of San Jerónimo, as well as the association for irrigation in the region to support the project's activities in the region's water catchment area.
- Cuba: cutting of 10 km of fire breaks for bush fire prevention in the Jaguaní river catchment area; restoration of more than 1 ha of forest along Piloto river ("gal-lery forests") with native species – Dominican Republic and Cuba: first tree nurseries for coffee seedlings, shade trees and native species are being started to prepare the implementation of future plans for Ecosystem Based Adaptation
- Presentation of the project at the NAP Regional Expo 10/2018 and during the EbA-Knowledge Day at Biodiversity COP in Egypt in Novermber 2018.