MRV in states and regions of developing and newly industrialized countries
As of: May 2019
Objective and activities
The project supports state and regional governments in Brazil (Pernambuco), India (Chhattisgarh, Telangana), Mexico (Baja California, Jalisco, and Yucatan), and South Africa (KwaZulu-Natal) to contribute to Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) by overcoming Measuring, Reporting, and Verification (MRV) capacity gaps. The regions are at different stages in the MRV process, with variable levels of knowledge and completeness of existing inventories, and implementation of systems for the MRV of mitigation actions. The project will therefore provide regions with tailored technical assistance to establish sustainable and robust MRV systems. The project will also identify further mitigation opportunities and support their implementation. In-country multi-governance policy and strategy dialogues between national, state and regional, and selected local governments will be organised to promote vertical integration of climate action. The Under2 Coalition network will be leveraged to disseminate lessons learned between states and regions globally.
State of implementation/results
- Launch of the project webpage: www.under2coalition.org/…;
- Baseline reports for project states in Mexico (Baja California, Jalisco, and Yucatan) and Brazil (Pernambuco), highlighting their emissions profile, have been produced using self-reported data disclosed through CDP’s 2018 States and Regions Questionnaire;
- Stocktaking workshops were delivered in all three states in Mexico in February and March 2019 to assess the status of each state’s GHG inventory and MRV system for mitigation actions. The two-day workshops were designed to level the technical knowledge and improve the capacity of different stakeholders involved in the development of GHG inventories and MRV of mitigation actions, and further identify their capacity building needs. Draft technical assistance roadmaps have been developed for each state, with a view to finalise these in April 2019, and begin tailored technical assistance and training in May 2019.
- A similar stocktaking workshop will take place in Pernambuco, Brazil, in April 2019 with the participation of relevant state level governmental agencies, research institutes and universities. The baseline and stocktaking process will begin in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, from April 2019.
- ICCA 2019: The Under2 Coalition will convene a workshop on Governance, with a focus on regional climate action, in Heidelberg, May 2019, and include an update on this project;