Natural Solutions to Climate Change in the Pacific Islands Region: Implementing Ecosystem-based Adaptation
As of: January 2020
Objective and activities
PEBACC (Pacific Ecosystem-based Adaptation to Climate Change) is a five year project implemented in three Pacific island countries (Fiji, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu) to explore and promote ecosystem-based options for adapting to climate change. The intended outcome of the project is that ecosystem-based adaptation (EbA) is integrated into development, climate change adaptation responses, and natural resource management policy and planning processes in three Pacific island countries providing replicable models for other countries in the region. Using a holistic approach, the project identifies the threats (climatic and non-climatic) to vital ecosystem services and in order to counter these threats supports the implementation of EbA measures that conserve ecosystems and increase people’s resilience to the consequences of climate change. Acquired knowledge is systematically documented and disseminated in the Pacific Region.
State of implementation/results
- Project sites are: Macuata province and Taveuni Island in Fiji; Port Vila and Tanna Island in Vanuatu; Honiara and Wagina Island in Solomon Islands.
- ESRAM baseline studies for the six project sites conducted and completed as basis for adaptation planning at national, provincial and community levels.
- Twelve technical reports of the ESRAM baseline studies including three synthesis reports completed and are being prepared for dissemination to key partners in the three countries
- EbA Options Assessments conducted and development of EbA Implementation Plans for demonstration activities in the six project sites completed.
- Project profile showcased through presentations and photo exhibitions at key Pacific and international events.
- Fiji: communication campaign launched
- Solomon Islands: rehabilitation of forest reserve started
- Vanuatu: urban forestry project to promote fruit trees launched
- Project media releases providing insight into some key project activities as well as the quarterly newsletter can be accessed here: www.sprep.org/… – Local government exchange visits facilitated between PEBACC and RESSCUE project stakeholders/sites in Fiji. Macuata – Ra – Ba: 20-24/08/2018. Kadavu – Taveuni: 3-7/09/2018. Kadavu – Taveuni: 10-14/08/2018. – Development of a communications campaign for Solomon Islands KIPIM TREES, AOTEM PLASTIK’ LONG HONIARA