As of: January 2018
Political dialogue and knowledge management on low emission strategies in the MENA region
Objective and activities
The project aims to develop successful low emission strategies in MENA countries, primarily involving the use of renewable energies, and to transfer these strategies to other MENA countries. The governments of the MENA countries have recognised the potential for expanding renewable energies and have anchored this into policy objectives. Now advisory services will be provided to integrate existing funding programmes more deeply into the overall energy economy and to interlink these with programmes in the area of climate change mitigation. The establishment of a regional framework for action, building on initiatives such as the Mediterranean Solar Plan and the Arab Renewable Energy Framework, will facilitate the planning of and reporting on energy projects. Cooperation with multilateral organisations and processes (the Arab League, Union for the Mediterranean, RCREEE, MENAREC) as well as with national institutions and the private sector is particularly important here. The project also aims to develop market-oriented models on the decentralised use of renewable energies and to help improve technical system integration. Specialist forums will enable the responsible ministries and specialist authorities to exchange relevant policies and learn from each other.
State of implementation/results
- Project in implementation
- Project contributes to the expansion of LCDS and the expansion of RE in the MENA region.
- project contributes significantly to IKI knowledge management in the MENA region. Has great networking potential for BMUB, BMZ and BMWi projects in the MENA region.
- In Morocco: Concept for the creation of long-term energy scenarios with different actors. Legal advice on network access to decentralized RE producers. Formats for national action plans and regular reporting, and training member countries in the application.
- In Jordan: Support of the Ministry of Environment on NDC. Status updates on the implementation of the NDC on the basis of a monitoring tool with relevant stakeholders. The further development of the NDC Governance is taken over by the planned bilateral IKI NDC project. Ministry of the Environment plans to draft a law on the implementation of the PA obligations. Preparation of COP23 is supported.