Political dialogue and knowledge management on low emission strategies in the MENA region
As of: April 2018
Objective and activities
In the course of the global climate agreement, MENA countries have been requested to present strategies for transforming their national economies into sustainable and low-carbon economic systems. However, both macroeconomic and sector specific country plans have given little importance to climate policy objectives so far. Many countries developed their Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) without taking into account detailed macroeconomic considerations. Moreover, instruments to improve energy and resource efficiency need still to be developed. The project supports the partner countries to identify and implement suitable political instruments in order to reach their national climate change targets for subsectors. Regional expert forums serve as learning and knowledge exchange platforms for competent authorities, corporate actors and scholars. The project evaluates regional best practice and lessons learned to make the benefits accessible for worldwide IKI projects.
State of implementation/results
- Project in implementation
- Project contributes to the expansion of LCDS and the expansion of RE in the MENA region.
- project contributes significantly to IKI knowledge management in the MENA region. Has great networking potential for BMUB, BMZ and BMWi projects in the MENA region.
- In Morocco: Concept for the creation of long-term energy scenarios with different actors. Legal advice on network access to decentralized RE producers. Formats for national action plans and regular reporting, and training member countries in the application.
- In Jordan: Support of the Ministry of Environment on NDC. Status updates on the implementation of the NDC on the basis of a monitoring tool with relevant stakeholders. The further development of the NDC Governance is taken over by the planned bilateral IKI NDC project. Ministry of the Environment plans to draft a law on the implementation of the PA obligations. Preparation of COP23 is supported.