Climate Support Programme (CSP) - Phase III
As of: June 2019
Objective and activities
The Project supports the South-African Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA) in implementing the national climate change response policy in (the areas of) mitigation, adaptation, and MRV. In addition, the DEA will be strengthened in its catalytic role to induce other departments and the private sector in implementing concrete climate-relevant projects (so-called ‘Flagship Programmes’). The DEA will be supported to implement the South-African climate policy in a faster, knowledge-based and more effective way. The project thus contributes to the desired transformation towards a “lower carbon economy and climate resilient society”. The successful development and implementation of the national climate policy is a precondition for South Africa to continue playing a prominent and constructive role in the international climate process.
- Climate Protection Programme in Support of the South African Department of Environmental Affairs – DEA II
- Developing Climate Policy Capacity within the South African Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism (DEAT)
State of implementation/results
The project builds upon the results of two previous projects "Climate Protection Programme in Support of the South African Department of Environmental Affairs" and "Climate programme to support South Africa’s Department of Environmental Affairs".
- REDD+ Status Quo Analysis
- Finalisation of Mitigation System Draft
- Expert Workshop on Green Transport Strategy
- Workshop on Adaptation and M&E
- 3rd Phase of "Local Government Climate Change Support Programme" started
- 1st IKI Networking Workshop in South Africa in April 2018, presentig 22 IKI projects with participation of South Africa.