Programme for the support of the National Adaptation Strategy to Climate Change in Mali
As of: December 2019
Objective and activities
The project aims to increase the resilience to the impacts of climate change. Innovative and integrative climate change adaptation approaches will be applied and capacities will be strenghtened. The project aims to improve the interrelation between national frmaework conditions, local planning as well as implementation of adaptation measures. It supports Mali with the implementation of the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) and the National Adaptation Plan (NAP). By supporting the Mali Climate Funds finance for adaptation measures will be strengthened. A cross-sectoral dialogue supports the integration of adaptation to climate change in ministerial budgets. Further. the project supports decentralized local authorities with the implementation of adaptation measures. The project is also conducted by United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Mali - Pilot Programme for an Integrative Adaptation Strategy
State of implementation/results
With support from the project, Mali submitted its INDC in 2015
- As one the first countries, Mali joined the NDC-Partnership – initiated by the Government of Morocco and Germany – in 2016
- The process of national adaptation planning (NAP) started in 2016
- An action plan for the implementation of the NAP was passed
- At the end of 2018, Mali's Council of Ministers issued several decrees to implement mandatory environmental auditing
- More than 100 private sector representatives were sensitized on the topics of climate change and adaptation to climate change
- In 20 communities, concrete adaptation measures are being implemented
- Side-event on the results of the project and the implementation of the NDCs in Mali at COP 24. During this side-event, the NDC-Partnership Plan of Mali was officially launched.
- In 2019 the first training event of the GIZ academy for training (Akademie für Internationale Zusammenarbeit -AIZ), organized by the project for francophone West Africa, took place in Mali with a training on NDC implementation, climate governance and climate finance-- On 27 September 2019, the project organized the first Fridays forFuture event in Mali at the congress centre of Bamako with the implication of the Ministry for Environment (Ministre pour l’Environnement, l’Assainissement et le Développement Durable MEADD), the Ministry for Youth and the Establishment of Citizenship (Ministre de la Jeunesse et de la Construction Citoyenne MJCC) and the German and EU Embassy
- Two online-reports and 2 radio interviews on the issue of climate security in relation to the project activities where published in 2019 in Germany: Radio interview with MDR, emitted on 14 July: www.mdr.de/… ; Radio interview with SWR 2, emitted on 7 September: www.swr.de/…,av-o1149929-100.html ; Online Artikel “Schafe helfen gegen Missernten, published on 7 July: www.welt-sichten.org/… ; Online article in the magazine „Afrika Reporter, published on 9 August: www.riffreporter.de/… .