Protecting biodiversity by integrating ecosystem services into public programmes and business - TEEB
As of: June 2019
Objective and activities
The project helps public-sector and private-sector stakeholders to integrate the socioeconomic and cultural value of ecosystems into their planning processes and decisions. To this end, it implements tangible pilot examples of economic valuation and ecosystem service compensation at local and regional level, and promotes dialogue on these issues. In this way, it raises awareness among the key stakeholders and provides an incentive for them to incorporate the value created by natural resources into planning and decision-making processes and to engage in development partnerships with the private sector. The project pursues the international Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity (TEEB) agenda and contributes to the international TEEB knowledge platform by promoting the active exchange of knowledge and experience among political and economic actors.
State of implementation/results
- 395 professionals from the public and private sector as well as civil society took part in capacity building on the socio-economic and cultural values of ecosystem services and biodiversity (109 professionals confirmed using this knowledge for their decision-making).
- Technical advice was provided to five states with the aim of introducing structured compensation and incentive schemes for the valorization of ecosystem services
- Integration of ecosystem services into the corporate management and accounting system of seven small and medium sized enterprises.
- Integration of the ecosystem services approach into the National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan (EPANB) and the National Plan for the Recovery of Native Vegetation (PLANAVEG).
- 37 pilot projects on the valuation and integration of ecosystem services into private sector decisions were implemented.
- Publication of guidance material on the integration of ecosystem services into public policies.
- The project is contributing to the communication of the values of biodiversity and ecosystem services to the Brazilian population. --Development of a long distance learning course on the integration of ecosystem services - core messages and infographics of results and impacts of the project can be found here: (www.bpbes.net.br/…)