Regional Forest Landscape Restoration in Central America and the Dominican Republic (REDD-Landscape / CCAD)
As of: June 2019
Objective and activities
The project will enable actors in at least 4 SICA countries to (further) develop & implement FLR implementation and financing mechanisms. National FLR strategies, instruments and implementing regulations are introduced, established in law and implemented. Land users and the local population are systematically involved in the implementation process & receive payments from adapted financing mechanisms. Skilled personnel are trained & knowledge & experience will be disseminated regionally through a platform hosted by the Central American Commission for Environment & Development. The EU's Green Development Fund, which is part of the program, provides project funding to national funding mechanisms & finances FLR pilot projects at landscape level. In the pro-cess, additional public and private investments in FLR measures are to be leveraged. The project also supports the establishment of a seed centre in El Salvador to improve the availability of quality seed for FLR implementation.
- Resource and land use management promoting carbon capture/storage through compensation payments
State of implementation/results
- The project supports the implementation of the Bonn Challenge, an international Forest Landscape Restoration (FLR) initiative in the Central American and Caribbean region
- The concept of a regional platform for FLR policy coordination and the emerging national funding mechanisms have led the EU to allocate an additional EUR 20 million to the project. Through the amendment offer of 26 March 2018 and the Delegated Cooperation Agreement with the EU, the "Green Development Fund for the SICA Region" was integrated into the project.
- The Central American Commission for Environment and Development (CCAD) hosted a side event at the Global Landscape Forum in Bonn in December 2018 to present the Green Development Fund and to gain further support for the Decade for Ecosystem Restoration initiative 2021-2030.
- The "Green Development Fund" will strengthen financing structures in the region through an ideas competition for national environmental funds and build a regional FLR portfolio.
- El Salvador's initiative was first announced at the Global Bonn Challenge High-Level Conference in Brazil in March 2018, and then at the Regional Bonn Challenge Conference in Guatemala in May 2018, supported by the countries of the Central American Integration System. The "Decade" is intended to secure the restoration of ecosystems and (forest) landscapes a high priority on the global agenda in the medium term.
- On 26.09.2018, President of El Salvador, Sánchez Cerén, presented the initiative at the UN General Assembly in New York. In the meantime, the UN Environment, CBD and the Environment Ministerial Conferences of Africa and the Latin America-Caribbean region have pledged their support. Now, within a year, international support is to be sought in order to successfully adopt the proposal at the General Assembly in 2019.
- The next Bonn Challenge Conference will take place on 12 and 13 June 2019 in Havana, Cuba, and Belize would like to host it in 2020.